Old December 21st 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default what batt for fluffy quilt?

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:42:58 -0700, "Lobo"
wrote:

Criminey! it's disgusting the stuff that appears when I search on "quilt
batt tied"! I should've just posted here to begin with.

I'm making a quilt that's going to get washed, slept on by cats & dogs,
taken to football games, etc., so I am planning to tie it. The giftee also
likes high loft. What's the fluffiest, least likely to bunch or travel,
will stand up to washing and need minimum ties? Not asking much, am I?
; )

TIA and Happy Holidays! Lobo

Sounds like you want something that will hold up to hard wear without
much work and it doesn't quite work that way. I'd suggest a medium
loft polyester batting and machine tack every 4-5 inches apart. If
you really love the tied look you can add ties wherever you wish, or
run the tieing cord under the machine tacking threads.

Machine tacking is using a zig zag or satin stitch several times in
exactly the same spot. It is much quicker than tieing a quilt by
hand.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at