Old September 19th 04, 10:17 AM
Shirley Shone

Default For discussion: Hand made

Just have to state that it is hand assembled. LOL
Shirley

In message , vj
writes
For discussion: I just received this from a friend. Pay particular
attention to the definition of 'hand made'. and the part between the
** marks.

HAND MADE Created completely by hand. Not assembled from parts or
made in a die or mold. This definition is one of the more commonly
used ones.

The Jewelers Vigilance Committee's Appraisal Task Force stated that
"The apparent or known method of manufacture should be stated (cast,
die-struck, handmade, etc.) " on all appraisals.

The FTC states:
(a) It is unfair or deceptive to represent, directly or by
implication, that any industry product is hand-made or hand-wrought
**unless the entire shaping and forming of such product from raw
materials and its finishing and decoration were accomplished by hand
labor and manually-controlled methods which permit the maker to
control and vary the construction, shape, design, and finish of each
part of each individual product.** Note to paragraph (a): As used
herein, "raw materials" include bulk sheet, strip, wire, and similar
items that have not been cut, shaped, or formed into jewelry parts,
semi-finished parts, or blanks.

Listing all of these may be overkill, but I am doing so to emphasize
that the distinctions are ones from the industry(and federal
government) and not just my own opinion.
I understand what you are saying, I have been working in the jewelry
repair and design business for over ten years. No jewelry work is
easy, It is a truly special craft. I have spent many hours setting,
polishing and soldering, but casting and making from scratch are two
different things. Using a cast doesn't make a piece, or a jeweler,
inferior.

evidently, no matter how i do it, none of my jewelry is 'hand made'.

--
Shirley Shone