Old April 5th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

Default slumping glass: how to???

Larry wrote in news:400f81b7-0e2f-4540-b0f2-
:

[snip]

I am in Nelson, British Columbia, Canada. I will have access to a
kiln and I can get access to a small glass studio but I do envision a
need for a bigger kiln as the sculptures become larger....

I'd wcho the adive to take a class. The reason is, there are a lot of
details that have to be learned, and it's easier to combine reading and
seeing. And I say that as a person who usually learnes best through
reading/self-study!

OTOH, I looked at Mapquest, and I don't see that Nelson, BC is near a large
city, so your opprotunities for classes might be limited.

Have you tried going to Amazon.com and searching for books of "warm glass" or
slumping? They have a decent selection - read teh reviews, too, to get a
better sense fo which books might be best for you.

Also, go to
http://www.system96.com/ - there is some informational material
there.

Delphi.com is a retailer for pretty much all things related to glass art, so
take a look there as well.

Here is a rough GOogle search for glass arts -
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...2warm+g lass%
22%29+%22Vancouver%2C+BC%22+supply
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...2warm+g lass%
22%29+%22Vancouver%2C+BC%22
Maybe some of these, esp. those who offer lessons, and ask for information?

Also, you can learn just as well by doing small projects, as you can by doing
large ones. I personally like working small and think small items should not
be dismissed tooquickly And an advantage of smaller projects is that, if
your intention is to sell your work, smaller items are within the budgets of
a much wider range of potential customers. But you have to put just as much
acre into the design and fabrication fo a small items, as a alrge one - maybe
more so in terms of design, because smaller sizes are far elss "forgiving" in
terms of glass design.

I don't know whether any of that answers your specific questions, but
hopefully it's fo soem small bit of help

- Kris