Old May 21st 04, 11:21 PM
Julia Altshuler

I have a question for you. Forget for a moment about the boredom of
making these blocks. You have 5. How do you think the quilt will look
if you could get all 18 completed? Would the quilt look boring?

My guess is that this is the real trouble. I can do almost any
quiltmaking task (even applique) if my eye is on the goal and I'm
excited by that. I only run into trouble when it feels like I'm putting
in a ton of work for an end product that's not going to be worth it.

So my advice would be to think long and hard about that. Then, if you
decide that the 5 compasses that you have done provide enough interest
for a finished quilt, improvise. If not, buckle down and get sewing.

If you decide to the complete the rest of the compasses, can you do them
assembly line fashion? On one day sew the small green points together.
On the next, Do the medium sized brown ones. And so on. I'll bet
there are parts you could chain piece. Or maybe paper piecing is a
possibility?

If you decide to quit after the first 5, you could arrange them as you
would in a 9 patch with 5 compasses and 4 alternates. Am I correct that
you have the fabric cut into strips but not into small rectangles? If
that's the case, you could still cut it into like sized lengths and sew
it together for the alternate blocks and the border.

--Lia