Old May 21st 04, 07:34 PM
the black rose

Dannielle wrote:
I believe that you could make multiple quilts with those that you have
pre-cut and vary the colors in all of them!

Here's the problem with varying the colors.

The smallest points (greens) are made of 1.5" strips.
The medium points (medium browns) are made of 1.75" strips.
The large points (darkest brown/tan) are made of 2.25" strips.

Since the fabric is already cut, I can't make large points of the green
fabric or the medium browns. The 1.5" and 1.75" that they are already
cut into aren't wide enough. The colors are set in stone unless I cut
new strips, and I haven't enough extra fabric to do that.

This boredom is odd. I made 18 S&W blocks for a kaleidoscope quilt and
felt no boredom at all -- they were all the same technique, but I'm
guessing it kept my interest because I didn't know what the blocks would
look like until they were finished. With this quilt, now that I have
the technique down, it's lost its shiny new brightness.

I just need to get through making these blocks -- I've got several yards
of a dark print with tiger faces on it that the recipient wants put into
the quilt; I'll have fun figuring out where to put the faces. 12
compasses alternated with 6 fussy-cut tiger faces would be fun (so 12
compasses instead of 18), or I could put the tiger faces in the setting
triangles along the sides. I'm contemplating olive camo for the border
(and sashing if it needs it), and desert camo for the backing. (This
quilt is for a 13-yr-old boy.) I've also contemplated a nice bright
green piping around the compasses for a bit of visual zing, but it's
only 50-50 whether I'll do that.

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie