Old December 1st 03, 12:13 AM
Me

e wrote:

i'm trying to sew a ruffle detail onto a shirt of mine, but wasn't
sure how to go about it. anyone know how to actually create the
ruffle?

i was hoping to do something like this:

http://www.net-a-porter.com/isroot/N...5396_index.jpg

i appreciate any help!

In the 5/8" seam allowance, sew two parallel lines with a
large stitch, something like 4 to 6 stitches per inch.
Pin your fabric at each end where it will go onto your
neckline, then again in the middle, and at 1/4 lengths,
too. Do this by folding the unruffled ruffle in 4ths to
get the point. Measure along the neckline edge to get
corresponding 1/4 points. When it is securely pinned,
secure one end of your stitches -- you can just knot them
together, or what I do is put a pin crossways to the
stitching line, and wrap the tails in an S around the pin
until they are secure. From the other end, take the
BOBBIN thread, and start pulling it, working the fabric
back to the beginning (where the pin or knot is) and ease
your fabric along until the edge is the same length as
your neck opening. Then sew on the 5/8" seam line, which
leaves your gathering stitches in the seam, or you can
remove them after you've sewn the seam.

This would be a lot easier if you could see my hands.
Also, get yourself a good basic sewing book - Reader's
Digest or Simplicity, or even Vogue would be good. You
can find these in 2nd hand bookstores at a reasonable price.
--

Joanne
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.