Old February 25th 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
[email protected][_2_]

Default slow cooling with digital electric kiln

On Feb 12, 9:43*am, Sue Roessel Dura wrote:
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:55:23 -0800 (PST), Mel wrote:
I have a new Paragon Electric Kiln with a digital controler. I program
it for cone #5 with a 10 minute hold for my glazing. What *slower
cooling rate than the normal cool down should I use to allow crystal
glazes to work and help keep Greenware from cracking?

I don't know what kind of controller you have, but it should provide a function
that will slow down cooling. *The Mastering Cone 6 Glaze Book specifies some
good rates of cooling that bring out the crystals in the recipes they have. *The
elements actually come back on to do this. * You'll need to find out what works
for your glazes and how to program your controller. *

Best, Sue

From what I have heard for Crystal formation after you reach your high
temperature you then drop down about 100 degrees and then hold that
temp for 1 to 2 hours, then you can shut off and let the kiln cool on
its own (no open draft holes).