Old April 10th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default OFF TOPIC BRAGGING

On 4/9/10 9:26 AM, "Nancy" wrote:

On Apr 8, 3:28�pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
DS and DH are in Rochester NY for the USA Hockey Nationals (Tier II)

My "little" boy tied for 1st place in the skills competition last night. How
about that?!

How wonderful for him....and for you to be able to
brag about.

Nancy

Isn't good that Cheryl can brag on her big little boy - doing so well in
skills after his team didn't have the same stellar start. We're hosting the
Tier II PeeWees (12& under youth) here - so I've gotten to spend a bit of
time with kids on teams who definitely had a rough start - going home
tomorrow.

My little brag - DH is working the USA Hockey National Special Olympics
tourney. Which includes special athletes in all kinds of categories. The
traditional "special" - which has mentally disadvantaged, and autistic kids.
Sled hockey -- youth & adult - which is amputees/paraplegics. The sled
hockey is amazing. He worked special games last night - each team actually
can have coaches on the ice during those games. Tonight - a triple of sled
hockey - which actually in adult is very full check - the sleds have pushers
(on skates) but coaches are not on the ice. In the adult divs they can have
up to 3 able-bodied players (in sleds), youth divs must all have a
disability that qualifies them. It's pretty amazing. Tomorrow - he does 4
of the games. Anyhow - it's a great thing, and of course as part of the
honor of doing the games, the ref fee is donated. So, a little brag.

But, I will say - after working at the PeeWee Tier II Nationals today - saw
some poor goalie from Alabama just totally become dysfunctional in one game-
Lost 9-1 - and it could've been much worse. At one point - I think goal 8
in the 3rd - the puck actually hit the blade of his stick - he made the save
but then flipped/turned it - right into the back of the net - swoosh. The
opposing team from Portland Oregon was very, very nice, and I think honestly
had backed it down after 5-0. The 1 didn't come til mid 3rd period.

Then, woohoo - a real fun game between a team from Huntsville, and a very
strong team from Delaware. Lots of company in the box (I was doing dual
duty overseeing the scorekeepers and doing the visitor box - Delaware). The
ref was from Kansas - and had a hit from behind called in the 2nd period.
There were 4 kids in the home box, and 3 in the away (2 sets of
coincidentals - not at the same time - plus the kid sitting the 2, plus the
kid who had to sit his 2 & the 10 min misconduct). Making things
interesting - some dads above - from the less northern team - who were
loudly trash talking the other parents, yelling at the linesmen, and then
actually picked on some poor kid coming into the box on a pretty routine
kind of thing. Fortunately, one of the USAH supervisors that I know well
came over & I was able to get him to deal with it (as in the parents were
told they would be removed shortly, etc). And the PA lady made a lovely
"good sportsmanship - enjoy the game" announcement when they came back after
the ice cut. The poor girl in the other p-box - she did a great job - (no
parents allowed in any of these positions - she's from the tourney staff) I
had to yell thru the scorers so they could tell her - and she watch my
semaphores - with who went out when. Of course, then a bunch of my fellow
refs came by at times to accuse me of causing trouble - as if.

The kids were all pretty nice kids. Skilled girl skating on the Oregon team
- she did well - made me think of Cheryl's Elise. It's great being at these
games, and so nice that the majority of the kids really do seem to be here
with a great attitude.

Ellice