Old August 30th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Default OT Evacuated again.

On Aug 29, 10:20*pm, Olwyn Mary wrote:
Here we go again. *Three years ago today, Katrina slammed the Gulf
Coast, and now Gustav is swirling towards us. This time, we decided to
get out early, being as dh is retired and we can do so. *After much
organising, telephoning etc., we are in a motel in Hammond, LA, about an
hour north of New Orleans, right on I-55 if we should have to go further
north and at the junction of I-12 if we have to go east or west. *At
first, there were "no vacancies", but I finally found one which would
take us for two nights. *We stayed there last night, but the whole place
has been reserved for emergency workers as of Monday a.m. *However, I
thought that being on the spot might help, so this morning I made a list
of every hotel in town, going from best downwards according to reviews
on TripAdvisor, and we started driving around. We came to this one,
which is not taking any advance reservations, but when I said I could
check in immediately and pay in advance if they would guarantee me that
I could stay until at least Wednesday a.m., they gave us a room. *It is
very nice, a former Holiday Inn but renovated, nice rooms., beautiful
pool, rec. area (they also have an RV park behind the hotel). Of course,
we were late checking out of the other place, so had to pay for a second
night, but I thought that a small price to pay in order to have a
guaranteed place *to stay.

Olwyn Mary, since my last post, I have done a bit of checking. It
looks as
though your fears are justified. You and your city will certainly be
in my
prayers.

Higs,
Katherine