Old October 31st 04, 04:50 AM
Steve J. Noll

I can't belived I missed that! I just finished some testing,
measuring current consumption and optical power output and found it
actually reduces the wattage to about 1/3. The difference is probably
due to the filament not being a fixed resistance but varying with
temperature, plus the peak voltage and current are not different -
they're just occuring half of the time periods as before. The diode
Vf is almost not worth considering. Anyway, not really worth setting
up a calorimeter for...

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:30:20 -0500, "Mike Firth"
wrote:

Good project and excellent report with good details and images.
Minor point - cutting the voltage in half will cut the wattage to a
fourth, you are feeding 12.5 watts to each bulb. Your statement that the
bulbs will last a long time is extremely correct - thousands of hours.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

"Steve J. Noll" wrote in message
.. .
A few weeks ago there was a thread about glass drill bits. I
mentioned I was working on making glass block walkway lights.
One is finished. Here are the details:

http://www.kissingfrogs.tv/blocklights.html

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California
http://www.peltier-info.com/wall.html