Old August 28th 08, 09:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.misc
william

Default tanning with tanin

I have tanned a couple of Thar hides using baking soda and kerosene
and a couple of deer hides using a commercial tanning kit. Now I
would like to try home extracted tanin. I have extracted tanin from
the appropriate weight of wallnut skins (not shells) and added the
required amount of acid (vinegar) and salt. I am trying a couple of
small rabbit skins for starters. My question is this.
Is there any down-side in having the tanin solution too strong.
Reading between the lines, this seems possible but I have nothing
specific to go on. Would there be any problem in putting the skins
into the solution with the source of tanin still in the solution. It
would seem as the tanin was absorbed from the solution, more would be
extracted from the sorce of tanin.
Regards
William