Old January 30th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Robb

Default Torch for Jewelry

On Dec 11 2007, 8:07=A0pm, mbstevens
I'm a beginner in metal-worked jewelry. Up to now I've been using cold
joints. I'd like to try some soldered/brazed pieces. Everyone I talk
to says I should get one of the versions of the 'Tiny Torch'. I am on
a limited budget. I have a Victor J-28. It's a light duty brazing /
welding torch about 6" long.

Are you using Oxy/acetylene, oxy/propane, or just acetylene?

The main difference I see between the two
is the orifice size of the tips. The smallest 000 tip on the Victor
is .022 where the smallest tip (#1) on the TT is .006. The 000 tip is
equivalent to the #4 TT tip (.020).

_If_ you're using oxy/acetylene a smaller tip will probably be of use.

I would get a pure acetylene torch (like a Prestolite)
before getting a Little-Torch. =A0I use my oxy/acetylene little torch
for fusing mostly, using the Prestolite for hard soldering/brazing.

I'm not trying to repair points on
a gemstone mount. I'm building relatively heavy metal jewelry akin to
what's on the cover of this months Jewelry Artist mag. Will the Victor
work for my needs or do I need to bite the $130 dollar bullet

A pure acetylene torch is less than half that. =A0They work very well
for larger pieces. =A0You won't even have to order it; they will have
one at your welding shop.

for the
TT? - Thanks

Randy- Hide quoted text -

Nothing was made mention of what metals or size of your intended work.
Something you can do is to take a extra tip and tap the end of it to
accept additional tips which would screw on. I have a Meco Midget
torch which has additional tips available. The tip is threaded to use
1/4 SAE threads. I have made tips for my meco midget torch using 1/4
SAE nuts silver soldered to hypodermic needles ( I used all metal
stainless steel needles just like veteranians use on large animals. )

If you have the money to spend I would recomend the Meco Midget as the
most flexable jewelry scale torch available. Save your big torch for
use in melting for casting.
ROBB.