Old December 12th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Don T

Default Torch for Jewelry

wrote in message
I'm a beginner in metal-worked jewelry. Up to now I've been using cold
joints. I'd like to try some soldered/brazed pieces. Everyone I talk
to says I should get one of the versions of the 'Tiny Torch'. I am on
a limited budget. I have a Victor J-28. It's a light duty brazing /
welding torch about 6" long. The main difference I see between the two
is the orifice size of the tips. The smallest 000 tip on the Victor
is .022 where the smallest tip (#1) on the TT is .006. The 000 tip is
equivalent to the #4 TT tip (.020). I'm not trying to repair points on
a gemstone mount. I'm building relatively heavy metal jewelry akin to
what's on the cover of this months Jewelry Artist mag. Will the Victor
work for my needs or do I need to bite the $130 dollar bullet for the
TT? - Thanks

Randy

The Victor will work quite well. You will be ahead of the game to switch
from Acetylene to Propane for your fuel gas though. Both for economical and
chemical reasons. Acetylene is a "dirty" fuel in Jewelry applications.
Acetylene forms metal carbides when the reducing flame is used with Silver
and Gold due to the excess Carbon in the flame, these are not formed when
Propane is used. If you do switch to Propane you might have to buy a new set
of hoses made for Propane use though. Also, be aware that when using Propane
for cutting and "tulip" tip heating of larger masses of metal to melting
temperature the tips have a slight recess to let the Propane burn properly
in those applications. The standard welding/brazing tips are OK for either
gas.

--
Don Thompson

Stolen from Dan: "Just thinking, besides, I watched 2 dogs mating once,
and that makes me an expert. "

There is nothing more frightening than active ignorance.
~Goethe

It is a worthy thing to fight for one's freedom;
it is another sight finer to fight for another man's.
~Mark Twain