Old December 11th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default Torch for Jewelry

I'm a beginner in metal-worked jewelry. Up to now I've been using cold
joints. I'd like to try some soldered/brazed pieces. Everyone I talk
to says I should get one of the versions of the 'Tiny Torch'. I am on
a limited budget. I have a Victor J-28. It's a light duty brazing /
welding torch about 6" long. The main difference I see between the two
is the orifice size of the tips. The smallest 000 tip on the Victor
is .022 where the smallest tip (#1) on the TT is .006. The 000 tip is
equivalent to the #4 TT tip (.020). I'm not trying to repair points on
a gemstone mount. I'm building relatively heavy metal jewelry akin to
what's on the cover of this months Jewelry Artist mag. Will the Victor
work for my needs or do I need to bite the $130 dollar bullet for the
TT? - Thanks

Randy