Old September 24th 03, 03:45 PM
Katherine Dewey

Milliput, a UK product, is similar to Magic Sculpt. Another epoxy clay
or sculpting compound is Aves Epoxy Sculpt. For best results in
achieving a thin sheet with all of these products, knead thoroughly and
let it rest for an hour. Roll in-between sheets of waxed paper that's
been coated with vaseline and let rest again. Just before it cures or
sets (about 2 hours from first mixing) you should be ready to shape it.
Polymer clay will adhere, but best adhesion occurs before the epoxy
completely cures.

You can freeze mixed epoxy for up to 3 days to extend the working time.
You can also mix it, once kneaded, with polymer clay. I like a blend of
2/3rds epoxy to 1/3 polymer (Fimo seems to work best) for a medium
that's easier to use, though not as strong, and has a working time of
about 5 hours before it sets up.

Hope this helps,
Katherine Dewey

Bead Sprite wrote:

That's really helpful, Eni! Many thanks indeed for letting me know as I
never hearl of Magic Sculp before and it sounds like just what I need! I
live in the UK, so it may not be available over here. Do you know of any
stockists online?

Thanks again!

--
Amanda
http://www.picturetrail.com/amandarose1

"Eni Oken" wrote in message
Amanda, you can make a sandwich of polymer clay using another clay called
Magic Sculp, which is an epoxy mix. The Magic Sculp dries in a couple of
hours without having to bake, but can go in the over first. I have tried

work as follows:
1) Create a underlying surface with Magic Sculp, making it as thin as
possible. Let air dry for a day.
2) Next day, add other details with polymer clay and bake the whole thing
together.

Now, I'm sure you will aks me: why don't I make the entire thing with

Magic
Sculp: because although it is very sturdy and almost unbreakable when used

little thicker, when used thinly it can be brittle, so the polymer clay
makes it so that it cannot be broken. Also because the texture quality of
the polymer clay is much nicer to work with finer details and

ornamentation.
--

Eni