Old February 18th 04, 02:50 PM
Sarah Carter

Johanna Koski wrote in message =

Wow. I didn't know that "Saamelaiset" are called Sami in English. That
can't=20
be true.. Sami is a boy's name in Finland and it's very common too! I
checked
my dictionary and atleast "saamenkieli" the language they talk is
saamish...=20

Perhaps that is why I haven't found anything when I have looked for the=20
patterns on the internet then! )=20

I think I found the work Sami in tourist guide of Lapland as that is =
where=20
we were originally meant to go on holiday to. In the end we went to =
Tampere=20
which was lovely.

I tried to buy some traditional Finnish mittens in Finland, but I =

didn't realise that
shops shut on a Monday in Finland, so missed them when we went to =

buy them
on our last day there.

=20
Well, traditionally, all shops close every day But you probably =

ment
that
they were closed on Monday. Museums are closed on Monday, but not =

shops.
Sunday
is the day when almost every shop is closed.

That's what I thought too. We went to have a last look at the mittens I =
decided I=20
might like to buy on Monday moring before we came home and they were =
closed.
It was a small craftworkers shop and our friends who took us to the =
airport said that=20
Monday is sometimes half day closing. Here in England, smaller shops =
somtimes=20
close on Wednesday or Thursday afternoons.
=20
They seem to have a detailed intarsia pattern in a traditional =

Finnish style.
The ones I've seen are knitted in a thick wool dyed in natural =

colours.
Maybe a Aran weight, and looked homespun too.

=20
I have a book from library where is several patterns for mittens, but
they aren't=20
typical Middle- or NorthFinland style. More like EastFinland and
Karelia.
=20
I'll try to find some patterns for their knittings..

Thankyou. My husband who speaks some Finnish has been gelping me out=20
looking for some patterns, however we have managed to find a picture at
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg which=20
is quite close to what I was thinking of if that is any help?

Thankyou also for the help with the words "Saamelaiset", saamenkieli" =
and=20
saamish... That will be very helpful )

Sarah
--=20