Old May 12th 04, 07:05 AM
Kalera Stratton

It's funny, we make a huge point of only taking our children to FAMILY
restaurants. Oddly, it seems like many other parents don't see the point
of doing this, and take their small children to fancy restaurants, where
the little tkes feel free to rampage. How sweet!

On the other hand, last time we were at Bella Fascia, a tasty family
pizza joint (by "family" I mean suitable for the whole family and
frequented by people with children, not a scary place with balloons and
people dressed as cartoon characters) a horrid (I do not use that term
lightly) hipster couple with sour expressions sat at the table next to
us. We had our six-year-old and our four-year-old plus the baby, so we
sat in the one corner of the restaurant that had no other occupants. Of
course, the kids were talking at the top of their lungs, telling me
stories, asking where their pizza was, and the baby was making periodic
chortles of joy that put one in mind of large tropical birds. The
hipsters wasted no time in scowling in our direction and whispering to
each other, obviously thinking we shouldn't have brought our awful
little brats out in public, let alone to a restaurant. Eventually, they
huffily pouted off to another table... only to be confronted with
ANOTHER FAMILY FULL OF KIDS! OH NO! They finished their dinner rather
quickly and left with a final glare for the entire restaurant, which by
then was full of happy, noisy pizza-eating children.

Hopefully, they will think twice about attending a restaurant with the
words "Family Restaurant" displayed proudly in the front window.

I later ran into the sour-faced hipster male at the local art walk. He
was sneering at some apparently unpalatable miniature glass chairs that,
to me, seemed magical and wonderful. I wonder whether he finds joy
anywhere in life? The other hipsters seemed to be having a good time...
this year, "genuine enthusiasm and enjoyment" seem to be "in".

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

starlia wrote:
One of the things I really despise about our current culture is that we

have

completely discarded the notion that there is ANY venue which is

inappropriate

for children. What do these kids have to look forward to as they grow up?

Celine

--

I thought the same thing the other day. There were all kinds of places I
couldn't go to growing up because I wasn't old enough. There are children