Old April 16th 09, 09:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Muso

Default Cuttlebone Casting

Okay, so first I went to my local Pet Smart, where I found a six-inch
cuttlebone in the bird aisle. I paid two dollars for it. After that,
I went to Michael's, where I bought a razor blade knife, and some
double-sided tape. Finally, I went to the Home Depot, where I got a
stone tile, and some sandpaper. The stone is twelve-inches by twelve-
inches by just shy of one-half of an inch, and It is made out of
natural marble. I paid five dollars for it.

I used the double-sided tape to fasten the sandpaper to the stone, and
then I rubbed the cuttlebone on the sandpaper. After this, I used the
knife to carve the image of an arrowhead into the bone.

Well, that's about it so far. I still haven't made the pour yet, but
I thought I would go ahead and post this anyway. Has anyone here ever
done any cuttlebone casting before?

Mike Mandaville
Austin, Texas