Old April 10th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default way OT - immigration sponsorship

"Hanne Gottliebsen" wrote in message
Queen of Squishies wrote:
We are co-sponsors for our daughter-in-law, who is from Hungary. She has
her green card and all of course, and then my son went back to school.
He
was no longer earning enough to be her sole sponsor, so we signed to
co-sponsor with him. That was several years ago. They have now been
separated for 2 1/2 years, and he is in the process of getting a divorce.
She emailed and told us that if he does, we will be the sole sponsors.
Can
anyone verify if this is true? It doesn't make sense to me that this is
how
it would work, but it is SO hard to find out the details of things like
this. I thought I'd see if anyone here knows about these things. TIA!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Karen,

I don't know enough of this either, but I do occasionally hang out in

alt.visa.us.marriage-based

You might get help there too.

However, if she has had her greencard (by virtue of marriage to your son)
for more then 2 years, I believe she could apply for "removal of
conditions" and then she would not need a sponsor. In fact, I'm wondering
why she didn't do that already.

Not sure if she *could* but I do know there is no incentive for her to do
so. The sponsorship agreement in essence binds the sponsors to support the
immigrant.

But do go look in the other group - most of the folks there are friendly
and know some stuff - even if the advise in the end may be to get a
lawyer, it is sometimes nice to have an idea of what is going on.

Hanne in London