Old April 10th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default way OT - immigration sponsorship

I know absolutely nothing about this, but if she has been here for five
years has she applied for citizenship? Doesn't being a co-sponsor mean
there would have to be a sponsor? If the divorce takes place, she will
no longer have a sponsor so can you still be a co-sponsor? If she had
to have a co-sponsor because your son didn't make enough money to
support her would that not mean that you would have to take on the
responsibility of supporting her if she couldn't or wouldn't work?

If the answer to the last question were yes, I'd have to think long and
hard about continuing the co-sponsorship if I knew I was responsible for
her financial support. Since the conditions under which you signed the
co-sponsorship have changed, and since your son will no longer be her
sponsor, I'd think there is a good chance of requesting your
co-sponsorship be rescinded. If she has lived here for at least five
years, she could apply for citizenship and I believe that would
forestall deportation.

Queen of Squishies wrote:
We are co-sponsors for our daughter-in-law, who is from Hungary. She has
her green card and all of course, and then my son went back to school. He
was no longer earning enough to be her sole sponsor, so we signed to
co-sponsor with him. That was several years ago. They have now been
separated for 2 1/2 years, and he is in the process of getting a divorce.
She emailed and told us that if he does, we will be the sole sponsors. Can
anyone verify if this is true? It doesn't make sense to me that this is how
it would work, but it is SO hard to find out the details of things like
this. I thought I'd see if anyone here knows about these things. TIA!

Karen, Queen of Squishies