Old August 31st 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

Default could this pattern be made in a quilt style?

thinking how this might go together with quilting materials....
from the pix' of the jacket in use and the pix of it laid out flat at the
bottom of the page....
looks to me, for an adult, the centre circle is about 7 or 8 inches across.
this lays when worn around the middle of your back with half the circle
coming up your back to the neck, folding down as a collar or could be (as
shows where child is wearing it) as a sort of hood effect.
add to the centre circle, 6 or 7 concentric circles of 'about' 3 inches in
wedges.
wedges are swirled in the knittle version, would they need to be as a quilt?
the sleeves get inserted into the join of one section of one of the circles
as shown.
might need to make the sections a size that will accomodate the sleeve of
course.
i wonder would it work to insert sleeve using two sections if you stick with
the section size shown.
i'm sure this is do-able but as i am not the greatest garment maker some of
it is eluding my thought processes.
really now i'm just considering how this would/should go together.

i've a top mom made me years ago. a circle folded in half with a neck-hole
in a T shape cut out and finished off.
then stitching up either side along the body in a straight line leaving the
edges hanging loose.
top of the T laid across the back of neck, 'trunk' of the T laid down the
front about 7 or 8 inches from the front of neck.
once finished off with a bit of ribbon to tie it shut, it fit quite well.
the whole thing was hemmed of course.
dont know if that makes any sense.
it was cool, comfortable and looked cute in summer.
no longer wear it but havent gotten rid of it as yet.
mom made me few clothes once i left childhood and no longer have any of
those around.
jeanne

"Roberta Zollner" wrote...
Cute! Might be possible, but fiddly. (Wish I could see a front view of the
sweater -almost looks like the front sort of drapes into folds.) One could
just cut an armseye on each side and then add proper fabric sleeves with a
cap to fit well.

The problem is that a quilted piece might be too firm to drape the way it
should. Instead of doing it exactly like this, you might be better off
taking a normal jacket pattern and cutting it out of your quilted piece.
You could easily adapt the pattern to round in the back and come up to a
sort of bolero front. Make a separate shawl collar and quilt that (re-cut
after quilting the top) plus sleeves.

"nzlstar*" wrote...
http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=138024

check the design laid out flat at the bottom of the page.
i wonder if you made the sleeves up separately and sew'd them into the
space between rows....
i guess u'd have to not add too much quilting or place it carefully so
the jacket laid correctly.
hmmmmmmm, might work.
anyone see issues or got anymore ideas on this as a possible quilt
jacket?
just thunk'n outloud again.
jeanne
currently eating a late breakfast so brain still somewhat incoherent,
probly this wont work at all