Old July 20th 04, 06:59 AM
Roger Shoaf

"Geoff Hodbod" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a hinge on the temple rod of a pair of spectacles that is
broken. I think that it is spot welded on. Is there some kind of
fairly inexpensive tool that would help me remove this?

I would like to remove this and add a fresh hinge. I think that the
frames are some kind of nickel alloy. I was thinking of using this

"Silberfix" hard solder 62% Ag without Cd that has a melting point of
650 C and is suitable for bronze,nickel, stainless steel.

Do you think this would be tough enough? Is there some inexpensive
device that will allow you to solder at 650C?

I found this:
http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr1664.html
would this do?

And advice welcome. Thank you

I'm in the UK

I would farm this out. with the right tools this job is a snap. with the
wrong tools you probably scrap your spectacles.

Do a Google search. Optical frame repair UK came up with over 67,000 hits.

Ask your local optician about the job. This might be a pleasant surprise at
how cheap this job can be done.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.