Old October 7th 16, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Default Teaching Quilting

I agree about not recommending an expensive high-end machine, but at the
other extreme, I wouldn't recommend a cheap machine from a big box
store. You don't want someone turned off to sewing because of a machine
that doesn't work properly. I would definitely recommend buying from a
reliable local dealer that will service the machine and answer
questions, including lessons on using the machine.

I don't know whether the speed control comes on beginner machines. I do
know that both my Elna Quilter's Dream and the older, smaller Elna
Stella have that feature. The Quilter's Dream is definitely not a
low-end machine, but not as expensive as some other machines.

I prefer a drop-in bobbin, but that may be because that's what I have
always had. I've used other machines, but found it more difficult to get
the bobbin in place properly.

Janome has a good reputation around here. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Janome.

Julia in MN

On 10/7/2016 9:52 AM, Brian Christiansen wrote:
On 10/07/2016 07:12 AM, Julia in MN wrote:
What kind of sewing is the machine going to be used for?

I guess that is part of the problem, as the person you are teaching does
not yet know where his or her interest will take them, to primarily
quilting, primarily garment making, or "half and half" of each

As for the speed control, does this come on "beginner" machines, or do
you have to have an expensive high-end machine for this feature. I know
it exists, I am just not sure what machines it exists on. Since it is
not known if a beginning sewist will maintain an interest, I, at least
would recommend against an expensive high-end machine.