Old June 4th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default How do I setup a studio/workshop for Hydrofluoric Acid Etching?

^TahirKanch^ wrote:
Hi,

I am fully aware of the dangers for HF, but can anyone please guide me,

***How to setup a workshop/studio to acid etch 5 feet long sheet of
glass?***

I have worked with it in a different country, but because of OSHA, EPA,
Fire Marshall etc. requirements am confused as how to go about setting
up a studio for acid etching here in the U.S.

I know that there needs to be a proper ventilation and proper storage
along with handling ofcourse. I also realize that an OSHA approved
equipment is very expensive.

***Can someone please guide me to what the OSHA approved equipment is
AND please tell me if there is any other cheaper alternative to
that?***

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Tahir.

If you're going to be doing this yourself, with no employees, OSHA has
no say in the matter. Their job is to protect your employees from you,
not protect you from yourself. Local codes are in place to protect the
general public from you. Having worked with large amounts of HF for 20
years, I would suggest you abandon the idea. I carried a card in my
wallet in case burns became noticeable after I was away from work. It
explained the medical procedures necessary and numbers to call for advice.

Not sure what you want to do but I find it hard to believe it couldn't
be accomplished via sandblasting and/or wheel carving. To complete the
job and attain the finish you want, you could then send the piece to
Crystal Traditions in Tiffin, Ohio.

http://www.crystaltraditions.com/services.html

That would be cheaper, safer, and much wiser.

--
Jack

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://www.glassartguild.com/gallery/jack_bowman