Old December 11th 05, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Default FAQ - (Short version) Advertising and posting polices of this moderated group

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:
For those who'd like more detail than what follows, request the full version in
email from me, or find it in archives on Google (search for FAQ)

Rec.crafts.jewelry is a moderated, non-commercial newsgroup. Here's the basics
on what's allowed here, and what's not.

And here is my (not really, I read it some time ago and I am just
passing it on) universal "Guide for posting to newsgroups".

1. If you post and pretend to be a fool, people will believe that you
are a fool.

Corollary: If you then post and explain that you were only pretending,
nobody will change their mind.

2. The Net-Nature is very simple. Usenet is *not* dominated by the
smartest people, the most interesting people, or the most learned
people. It is dominated by the people who want to tell other people
their opinions. To expect anything else is absurd.

3. Similarly, the topics that dominate any given newsgroup are not the
most interesting, the most helpful, or the most useful. They're the
most acrimonious and the most dissent-laden. How else could things
possibly turn out?

4. A person who says, "Sorry, I had to point that out to you" is always
telling two lies. Ditto for "Sorry, I couldn't pass this up." "I see
your point but...." means the opposite.

5. When a fool posts deliberate flamebait, he has no influence over
whether he/she succeeds. You do.

6. It is easy to patronize the author of the post in which you agree. It
is equally as easy for the author to patronize you back. This can go on
for weeks on end.

Corollary: You will look clever to the people who already agree with you
and like a fool to the rest of us.

Second Corollary: If you post to a newsgroup to which you are new and a
prominent personage patronizes you, that can also go on for weeks on end.

7. If you feel you know something funny or clever or wise, you may
decide to post it here. Please keep in mind, you are the 4,000th person
to do so.

8. If you hate something, there is a newsgroup where people are
discussing it. Abortion, recovery, Republicans, eating meat,
tattooing, worship, bondage, whatever. You will be tempted to appear on
that newsgroup and point out to everyone the error of their ways. Please
keep in mind that you are the 4,000th person to do so.

9. If something is particularly funny, clever, or wise, then you will be
the 4,000th person *this month.*

10. The exclamation point "!" is a sentence tag which denotes emphasis.
The double exclamation point "!!" is a sentence tag which denotes the
writer is a self-centered fool who think his/her concerns are more
important than anyone else. The triple "!!!" is an exaggeration of the
double. Four or more exclamation points indicate sexual inadequacy.

11. You, personally, are a unique, exciting, vibrant, intelligent, wise,
and self effacing individual with a great deal to contribute to the
newsgroups you select on the Net. So is every other schmuck who posts.
Get over it.

12. The demise of this newsgroup and the Net is imminent--and always
will be.......

13. It's not a super-highway. It's not a fishnet. It's not a surfable
ocean, a maze, a 3 dimensional space of lights, a city or a game. It's
not a cocktail party an argument or a home. It *is*, what it *is*. You
will never prove yourself "cool" or an "insider" by using the "hip"
metaphors or slogans of your group to try to control or impress other
people. This interlinked computer system of the world doesn't need
names, judgments, explanations, or justification---it just *is*. The
playing field is level and if you don't like it, you must not be used
to equality.

14. Internet gurus on a specific topic are a dime a dozen. It is the
people who don't know much who are rare.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com