Old March 30th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
m4816k

Default Are some gemstones too fragile for every day use?

"George Mauer" wrote in message
Hello,
I am looking for an engagement ring and I've determined that my price-
range ($1500) should be enough to allow me to get a decent mounting
with a nice bling-y semi-precious stone. Probably I would like
something large, shiny and purple or pink.

I've been talking to a lot of jewelers about this and one recommended
to me that for an engagement ring that will be worn daily I should not
do amethyst or kunzite, or topaz because these are too fragile and
will scuff and chip with every day use. Out of the stones that we
discussed she basically only recommended sapphire, diamonds, and
moisannite (ok, ruby too but thats way out of my range).

In your opinion, is that a fair assessment or is that just her opinion
that will vary from jeweler to jeweler?

Thanks so much for helping me out.

I would agree with her and maybe add spinel to the list - it's quite durable
and availabe in both pink and purple. But I'm not a professional, so feel
free to ask around.

database 3973 (20090329) __________

http://www.eset.com