Old December 7th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default USA Copyright do's and don't info found

On 12/6/08 1:19 AM, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:

"ellice"
Well put, Dawne. That's exactly what I was taught, and what has been
published to the trade asso. Members - at least TNNA did one some years
ago
for the designers (full members). There are some well known designers
that
are particularly picky about their diagrams - and they should be. It
takes
a fair amount of work to do a nice diagram - beyond what a charting
program
just pops up.

I have found that a stitch diagram can make all the difference--some don't
really help, but the right one gives that aha moment.

Dawne

So true. Some years ago I took a sampler class done with a Just Nan
teaching piece. The diagrams - fabulous. And I remembered learning then
about the copyright issues/protection on stitch diagrams from the LNS owner.

Having been teaching a lot of late, I really note that with doing commercial
designs. It's interesting seeing some pieces that the designer has just
indicated the stitch to be done, with either no diagram or a really bad one
- and it's up to me to do a clear one. A piece I taught last year - the
diagrams for some stitches were so bad - all the threads in the center of
the block (it was a largish Rhodes) looked like a big blob - and there are
over 20 legs in this particular one. Plus, the designer had mislabeled the
beginning number. Nice.

I often go to reference books to verify stitches. OTOH, doing stitch
diagrams is a bit time consuming but the important part in trying to do an
original design to be taught.

Ellice