Old June 4th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Buck

Default Beginner's Question--Potter's Wheel

Things are still 'working out' in woodworking, but i've just bought a few
clunkers in the way of machinery.

A Ryobi B2K Table saw, for example. No guts, no compatibility with other
equipment, no nada. I use it for the most simple jobs only.

I just don't want to buy several wheels to get it just right.

I notice kilns are plentiful in the used market.

Arouses my curiosity.

Buck

wrote in message
ups.com...
pottery wheels have a great resale value. if, like in woodworking for
you, things do not work out you can still sell a potters wheel easily
for not a big loss.

see ya

steve

On Jun 2, 6:12 pm, "DKat" wrote:
If money is not an issue, then I recommend the RK Shimpo Whisper as a
wheel.
Kick wheels are great to learn on (and to keep in shape with) but as far
as
ease of use an electric wheel is far nicer. The Whisper, as its name
suggest, is really quiet. The wheel also turns freely when off so it can
be
used as a banding wheel. I only throw at most 25# at a time but it
should
handle much more than that. You can also resale it easily if you want.

http://www.clay-king.com/itemrkwhisp...ERY-WHEEL-p/sv...

"Buck" wrote in message

t...

Money is not a problem.

But no matter how much one has, spending on a loser that winds up in a
storage shed and is eventually thrown away is, to say the least,
irritating.

I have a few mis-fires from the realm of woodworking that I remember
well.

Thanks,

Buck

"Marco Milazzo" wrote in message
.. .

"The Self-Reliant Potter," an old book by Andrew Holden has plans for
a DIY treadle-wheel and a DIY kickwheel -- but I wouldn't recommend
building either. Wheels are relatively simple machines, but they
have to be very well made, or they're inferior to manufactured wheels
-- which is usually the case.

Get a second job, or make some hand-built pieces and sell them -- or
do anything to get the modest amount of money necessary to buy a good
second-hand wheel. You'll be better off in several ways. There
should be many to choose from in your area.

Marco

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:01:57 GMT, "Buck"
wrote:

They're all over the place, of course, and have dozens of
characteristics
and quirks.

I remember two things (From how long ago I will not mention!):

1. A MASSIVE foot powered wheel that seemed to hold momentum forever.
No
power required except the legs. Are these antiques, (or at the very
least)
vintage now?

Any DIY possibilites?

2. A little kick lever powered rig with an aluminum top wheel, that
seemed
to want to fly apart when you were pedaling it up to speed, and DID
NOT
hold
momentum.

Well, there are now a myriad of these little electrical ones all
over
the
web, and they do look simple, but I want something that just doesn't
vibrate.

They look so light that I have suspicions.

Any Help?

thanks.

Buck

(P.S. Good sources of equipment and raw materials in the SF Bay Area.
Tools,
clay, glazes?)

Thanks Again- Hide quoted text -