Old September 18th 04, 01:04 AM
Julia Altshuler

What am I working on?

1. A small art quilt as part of an exchange on another Internet list.
It will be dark purples and fuscias. I'm thinking "Rappacini's Garden"
which I checked out of the library today for more ideas on poisonous
purple flowers.

2. My parents' 50th wedding anniversary quilt. I'd hoped my brother's
children would get excited about helping me choose the fabric, but they
have other interests at the moment. (Kids can be so fickle about what
captures their excitement. I don't want to push them because fabric
choosing should never be a chore, but I don't mind admiting I'm
disappointed that they're not getting into it the way I am.)

Thus I'm at the beginning stage of this quilt. I have the pattern
chosen and know I'm working with peacock colors but haven't started
cutting anything. I hope it goes together quickly once I get going.

3. (Most exciting.) My brother is remarrying in December. That means
his new bride gets a quilt. If the timing weren't so rushed, I'd make
her something just for her, but I might just give her something
wonderful from the closet. It isn't like I don't have a backlog. I
have to think about this. I could be late with either her or my
parents' quilt and make them both custom just for them, or I could give
one the other or both something that's already made. I'd know it wasn't
made special for them, but they wouldn't, and I could personalize it
with some more machine quilting.

4. My friend in Colorado's sister-in-law is having a baby in December.
She's asked to buy a baby quilt. Same dilemma there. I could custom
make something or give her one that's ready made from the closet. I
asked what she'd like, showed her family pictures of the existing
quilts, and they said they liked an existing one
(http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...ges/AStars.jpg). Looking at
it now, I still like it, but it looks unfinished. I'm thinking it needs
serious more quilting and a lot more stars.

--Lia