Old February 23rd 09, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Limpy[_2_]

Default Ring resizing?

In this here newsgroup called rec.crafts.jewelry on Sun, 22 Feb 2009
11:46:09 -0800 we all dun see'd a message a-written by Peter W. Rowe
which dun sed:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:38:32 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Bro
wrote:

I agree, yet...
I use powdered asbestos mixed with water. It doesn't pull away from
the silver, in fact it almost bonds with it, and doesn't pull away so
much.
And before everyone jumps all over my sh!t, no, I don't put the
asbestos into a paper sack and huff it.

I used to use a mashed up mess of furnace tape, back when it was asbesto=

s based,
too. Kind of like a sloppy web paper mache mix. Like your mix, it kee=

ps the
silver cool because the water content remains in contact. Easier to pla=

ce, but
still not quite as good a heat sink as just plain water, simply based on=

the
total amount of water available to absorb the heat.=20

Yes of course.
I mean I'm sure some smart person like you or Abracdabra could even
explain the physics that back up your assertions.=20

Does have the advantage of
less spitting and sizzling than just a can of water.=20

Yeah, it's the spitting, steam and sizzling that frosts my ass (no
pun).

My comments on stuff that
doesn't work so well is quite specifically aimed at those paste like
concoctions, some in a jar, some actually in an aerosol can like cheeze =

wiz.

Oh God! I HATE that cheese-wiz heat sink! When it gets low it starts
blowing bits of the wiz all over the desk. And I'd just bet real
Cheeze-Wiz=AE would do a better job of protecting ones stones (and would
have the added bonus of a quick stack between solders.)