Old July 8th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default Men's waistcoat pattern?

Jo in Scotland wrote:
I have bought some embroidered satin for my partner, who wants a new
waistcoat. Also some turquoise satin for the lining, and the little
buckle for the back strap. Does anyone have a pattern company they
recommend? Or a favourite pattern they would recommend? Any good
tips or advice before I start?

-- Jo in Scotland

There are several good waistcoat patterns about. This one from Vogue
works well: http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8...tab=men&page=1

Make sure you have enough fabric to match the pattern across the
front... Don't just use boring lining fabric if this will be worn
without a jacket! Pick a nice colour from the fabric pattern and use
that. Here's one I made earlier...
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co....ery/Drewwc.JPG

The fashion fabric is 100% silk fabric woven for ties, and the back and
lining are silk tafeta.I like to use something like satin backed dupion
to line waistcoats and make the backs. I made Alan a black one with
dragons on it in gold, and backed it with the gold dupion, using it
satin side out on the inside.

Recently a friend made her hubby a turquoise blue one with green, gold,
and lilac fish on it (a Chinese brocade!). She gave it a matching
turquoise back, but we did green buttonholes on it to match the green
fish after experimenting... I often use embroidery thread to do
buttonholes, or fine silk thread (YLI or Coats 100 weight, NOT
Gutterman!), as this gives a really fab finish.

My personal choice for buttons is usually something fairly plain, such
as plain gold or silver blazer buttons, especially if the fabric is very
busy.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!