Old January 14th 05, 06:00 PM
Valkyrie

I'm with you on this one! If the curtains are 'washable' I toss them in the
dryer with a few damp towels and let them tumble for awhile and then just
take them out and hang them up. So far this has worked fine for me. The last
time I did this I had 6 sheer panels to go up on my living room window. I
just took one panel at a time out of the dryer and let the rest tumble as I
put each in turn on the rod. Twenty minutes from start to finish and not a
wrinkle in sight.

I got rod pocket curtains for my bedroom, poly/cotton, with matching bed
skirt and shams, they all got the dryer treatment as well and they look
great without being touched with an iron. I just got a new Maytag front load
stack unit and it has a "wrinkle release" cycle. Now I don't even have to
check, it has a lovely little tone that softly bongs when the wrinkles are
gone........how does it know that???

And the soft little bong tone just makes me smile because it brings back my
childhood dream of being an elevator lady. When I was a very little girl I
remember shopping at Fredrick & Nelson's in Seattle. It was always quite a
special occasion. Always had to wear my little hat and Sunday gloves, since
it was very important to always be a lady back then. We'd go to the
department store and all the sales ladies were dressed in black with pearls
and the store smelled so good. I just loved riding in the elevators. I was
absolutely enthralled with elevator ladies with their perky hats and white
gloves, they were the most beautiful women I could imagine being ~sigh~ When
you were in the elevator she'd say "Floor please?" then you'd hear the soft
'bong, bong' and she'd have her little stick to swing back and forth across
the doorway as it closed and say, "Step back, please step to the back" in
this lovely soft voice. ( I used to practice this particular technique in
the hallway coat closet with a wooden spoon for hours on end, calling out
the floors as I opened and closed the door, must have drove my mother nutz!
LOL) They were always impeccably groomed, wore lovely gray suits with
matching little pill box hats and white blouses and gloves, single pearl
earrings and beautiful patent leather heels and seams in their stockings.
There was also the niftiest little fold down stool in her corner and one of
the ladies used to let me sit on it. Lordy, I would be just thrilled! You
have no idea the disappointment I had when I found out there were no more
elevator ladies and my dreams of a career were totally shattered. Oh, the
disappointments of childhood.

Still mourning,
Val

"admom" wrote in message
ready? lazy/desperate method--i toss them in the dryer on "delicate" along
with a damp towel, wetted and wrung out as tightly as i can. i let it run
only long enough to let them tumble with the dampness and have a short
"ride". when they are taken out, it has to be quickly, so no new wrinkles
set in, and hung either on the line, or folded gently--but the dryer has
been my friend in this for a long time!

admom