Old March 23rd 04, 04:25 PM
Taria

The Ford dealer gave us seatbelt extenders. If I remember right
seat/lap belts are for 5'4" and taller. The extender works for
shorter folks. They were free too. The guy told DH they are
one of the few free things in life We are all over 5'4"
so for the life of me I can't recall why we needed those things.
Maybe DD was still a tad under that at the time.
Taria

Kellie J. Berger wrote:
*Most* states here require car seats until the child is 4 yrs AND 40lbs ...
and most strongly suggest (if not require) children under 12 to be in the
backseat (b/c of airbags and the kids' size)...
if no one else finds a link for you to specific state requirements, I will
look this evening...

My kids used a little cloth adjustor for the seatbelt when they turned 4
until they were tall enough for the shoulder belt to fit properly. I got
ours at BabiesRUs, http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=218

Hope that helps!

Kellie

"Lizzy Taylor" wrote in message
.. .

I have been trying to check out the various regulations on children in
cars for our trip down I-95 and am now very confused. Over here in the
UK both boys (aged 4yo and 6yo) use child seats (made from polystyrene
with a fabric cover - hence light enough to bring as baggage) that use
the adult seatbelts rather than an integral 3 or 5 point harness. Are
these seats legal in the US and particularly in the states that I-95
runs through. I have looked at various sites on the internet and have
come away even more confused....

Can somebody help me, please?

Lizzy

PS Both boys are miniature Houdinis and would be most put out by going
back into what they would see as "baby" seats so would almost certainly
undo the buckles and be out in very short order.
--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E