Old February 18th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Default Gutermann thread

Pati C. wrote:
The only problem with using polyester thread to piece with is that the
melt temperature is lower than cotton. If you are using a really hot
iron, with fairly long pressing time you are liable to melt the
polyester thread. G Not what you want to do at all.

Pati, in Phx whose first quilts were pieced with poly serger thread. VBG

Kate XXXXXX wrote:

It depends what type of Gutterman it is... If it's their All Purpose
Sewing Thread, then yes, though it IS polyester and I'm not keen on it
for piecing (that's just personal choice). If it's their cotton
thread, use it for either piecing or quilting.

So far I haven't managed to melt Gutermann Sew-All (poly thread) with my
hot setting on the iron. Drima (thread of the devil) is another matter
as I learnt many years ago when DD was small - I melted all the
top-stitching on a pleated bodice on a dress I made for her

Lizzy