Old October 15th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary Anna

Default My niece wants to learn...

My 9 year old niece spent the night with us last night, and asked me what I
was doing while I was sewing some squares together. I told her that I was
learning how to make quilts and she immediately asked "Can you teach me
how?" Well, of course I was happy to do that!

I wasn't sure if she'd like it or not, but after she sewed her first few
squares together, she informed me that she will be spending more time with
me so that we can learn together and make a quilt! I thought that was
great, lol! I took photos of some of what we did if anyone wants to take a
look and let us know how we are doing. The one that looks sort of like
watercolor paints is my niece's handiwork, and the one with the hearts is
mine. We've been taking a back stitch at the beginning and end of the
sewing line and also one or two in the middle to help anchor the thread. Is
that the correct thing to do?

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...54831664fPBNVI

Not great stitches for either one of us, but hey, we're just learning! I
was pretty impressed with Katybug's (ny nickname for her, lol!) first
attempts. I think if she sticks with it, she'll do very well. I hope she
does; it would be so wonderful if we could actually complete a quilt
together. She seem really excited by the idea. I'm planning on it being
just a smaller patchwork quilt; I don't want to overwhelm her to start off.

--
Mary Anna in NY