Old September 21st 10, 06:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Default How to disinfect a yellow gold diamond ring I inherited

Suzie wrote:
Hi everyone

I inherited a beautiful diamond ring from my mother last year who
passed away from various things. However the one thing that really
worries me is the MRSA staph infection she had at time of her
passing. She wore the ring right up to the time of her death.

Can anyone tell me how to keep this beautiful ring as gorgeous as it
is but yet give it a good sterilizing so I can feel good about
touching it?

I've wondered about just using boiling water and dish detergent?
Boiling water kills anything, right?

Thanks so much!

Suzie

The 2 previous replies ae useful, however thers a lot you can do yourself.
Certainly boiling water is a first step forward, use a spoon to pick
it up to put into the water. Put a little salt in it as well before
bringing to the boil as well as the spoon of course!!. . tho Id suggest
the following.
It depends on the setting of the diamonds, the area difficult to clean
is under the stone, so a tooth brush and tooth paste is a good way to go.
Rinse well of course.
Then theres the baby feeding bottle sterilising tablets. there sodium
hypochlorite and one tablet in a glass of water overnite will sterilise
the ring after you have toothpasted it as above.
Your skin has a natural resistance to bacteria but do wash you hands
well with soap, after handling the ring,.
If i did the 3 steps above, Id be happy to wear the ring.
Ted.
dorset
UK.

--------------010509030501060504080603--