Old November 6th 05, 02:16 AM
Mike Firth

Default stretching bottle necks

Did some work, bottles survived without annealing, to my surprise.
see here
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/bottle.htm#NECKMELT

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/
"Mike Firth" wrote in message
With paper labels you have to soak them off and glue them on again if near
the heat.
I am thinking of making a can to try and do it - I have the parts on hand.
The guy goodthngsdontlast selling on eBay says
yes that is fine i make them and if you have
any questions please let me know
Respond to this question in My Messages.

Thank you for using eBay!
http://www.ebay.com/

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/
"Randy H." wrote in message
Hi Mike,

I guess I should have looked closer at the bottle label!

I have a bad habit of scratching off the label with my thumb as I slowly
saver the evervesence of my beer of choice. That way I do not mix my
bottle
up with someone else's.

I think your right about the Corona, but I'm not sure about the Bud Light
bottle. I think this gives me good cause to buy a six pack and do some
investigating!

I agree 100% on the pray without annealing!

Randy Hansen

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
Perhaps the original poster (someone) contacted me with a somewhat
similar
description. I just replied. They refered to a #10 can sized sleeve.
The labels shown on the bottles on eBay don't count because they are
screened paint and will survive the heat, in fact are applied while the
bottles are still hot before original annealing. One of the sporting
things I have done is cut Coke and other bottles apart, rearrange the
pieces, and fuse them to hanging things - the print survives. The
bottles can also be sagged flat and have the printing survive.
At this link http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/wa...tm#FUSEDBOTTLE
is an experiment with a Corona beer bottle re arranged into a fuse bowl.
I ended the description in the reply with "and pray" because of the
lack
of annealing.
--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/
"Randy H." wrote in message
I saw how it was done many years ago at a local fair. They used an
electric heater that was in a sleeve just large enough to fit around the
bottle neck. Just tall enough so the bottle top was exposed out the top.
It would heat only that area of the neck. I believe the bottles were
suspended in the air by the top of the bottle neck. When the glass got
hot
enough the bottle would start to drop. At that point is when you start
make your twists. I know this sounds crazy, but they are not annealed
after that. Proof in point........the labels are still on the bottles!

Randy Hansen
SC Glass Tech.
Scam Diego, Comi-fornia

"Phil" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

I know that a similar question was asked not long ago, so forgive me
for trying to squeeze a little extra info from you experts. How do you
stretch the neck (alone) of a bottle - as I'm sure you've all seen,
the
neck can be stretched and twisted massively while the rest of the
bottle retains its shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

for example.

I'd be very grateful for any guidance on this.

Many thanks

Phil