Old July 9th 03, 12:53 PM
psci_kw

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
As a point of interest; UK bisque temperatures are much the same with
the exception of our white earthenware clays. At 06-04 these are
severely underfired and have not completed their *primary* shrinkage, so
much so, that if you bisque at that temperature and then glaze fire 04
plus the body will shrink more than the glaze, and the latter will
*shiver* off, especially on the rims. The right bisque temperature for
these clays is more usually in the regions of cone 1 (1150 C. ish)!

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , SpunMud
writes
i agree with Steve. note too that you don't always bisque at a lower
temperature than a glaze firing. the one example of this i can think of

is that
a lot of commercial low-fire glazes are fired at about 06-05 but are best
applied to bisqueware that's been fired to 04.

--
Steve Mills
Bath

I use a lot of different formulas of stoneware clays, and fire to 600-650
degrees farenheit to bisque.
It's never been necessary for me to go much higher than the conversion
temperature of the clay.
Of course, this is going to vary, depending on the formula, the amount of
grog, etc.
Your altitude and your humidity level are going to make a difference too,
but here at sea level,
it works for me. Saves on energy ($), and cooling time, both important
considerations for production work.

Wayne
Key West