Old September 28th 03, 01:05 AM
Penny Lemire

what is the American equivalent?

(Penny Lemire)
Irene wrote:
Try a drapery supplier as they might have something very close to the
desired effect, and in large enough pieces to make a pleater form. Also
see if Nancy's Notions or some industrial supplier has a pleating form
already made up.
---
I can buy an existing form, but I'll have to seriously alter the pleat
design, and the thing costs $66, which seems like a lot to me,
especially if I can mak several for a fraction of the cost.
Thanks for the input all!
$.01
---
Penny, what are you going to use for your pleater form? Inquiring
minds...
Cea

Well, I've gotten into the job of running a sewing project
to produce 200+ bow tie and cummerbund sets to "classy up"
our school's performing groups (and make them more
identifiable to parent chaperones at major festivals when we
want to herd our 200 from the 3000 running about...)

The cummerbunds are pleated over the middle section. This,
at least for me, was the really slow part of the assembly
and I'm seeking ways to speed this production, and to make
it as idiot-proof as possible. We have a terrific school
with lots of volunteers willing to help, but I know from
experience that enthusiasm is not the same as skill, or even
a decent substitute.

In truth I've never worked with a pleater board, so I'm only
hoping this will be a time saver. If anyone has used one,
I'd love to hear comments. They sound good, and if I can
whip up one from some of this "badge backing" and some of my
stash, great. If it doesn't work, I'm not out worlds of $$.
If I have to buy one, then we'll do it the slower way.

The slower way I was planning, by the way, is to mark the
lines of fold and "fold to" on the back, pin and machine
baste these tucks together, then iron the crud out of all of
it. Last, pull the basting. The best reasons to avoid this
is the potential for pulls in the satin. It's several steps
as well, and if I can reduce that to time at the ironing
board, that's all the better.

If you know a better way to do this, I'm all ears (or is
that eyes here?)

Thanks
$.01