Showing results 1 to 25 of 123
Search took 0.22 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Julia in MN
Forum: Quilting October 9th 06, 02:32 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 18
Posted By Julia in MN
OT Punchneedle

And then there is the technique known as "locker hooking" or "anchored
loop rugs", which can be done with thick yarn or fabric strips. I have
found it a good use for strips of quilting fabric that...
Forum: Quilting October 9th 06, 03:38 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 3
Posted By Julia in MN
A fun afternoon

This afternoon we drove up to see the grandkids. I took along my
handsewing kit because DGS (age 6) wanted the patches (pack number,
etc.) sewn on his Cub Scout shirt. On a whim, I also took along...
Forum: Quilting October 4th 06, 02:42 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 20
Posted By Julia in MN
OT- I'm Back

Sharon Harper wrote:
We managed to discover a wonderful Ice Cream Shop (needs capitals) called
the Cold Stone Creamery where they scoop the ice cream of your choice onto a
marble slab, add...
Forum: Quilting October 4th 06, 02:29 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 61
Posted By Julia in MN
First Paper Piece Block

Mika wrote:
Thanks Kate. I don't have the "add an inch" ruler but I guess that will be
on my wish list now.
I think Kate meant an "add a quarter" ruler. There is also an "add an
eighth" ruler,...
Forum: Quilting October 1st 06, 04:01 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 10
Posted By Julia in MN
Focus on Applique: Simple or Complex and design sources

I've only done a few applique projects, and for the most part they have
been published patterns. The one exception is a wall hanging I made from
a set of basket blocks that I won at a guild...
Forum: Quilting September 30th 06, 12:35 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 38
Posted By Julia in MN
EOT (eventually on topic)

I can answer that one :) Yes, you can, though I think you need a new
strip of "sticky". The hooks that I have came with an extra strip, for
when you want to move it.

Julia in MN

Pat in Virginia...
Forum: Quilting September 29th 06, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 17
Posted By Julia in MN
cookie idea

You can also paint the designs on unbaked cookies. There are several
ways to make paint:
- Combine an egg yolk with 1/4 teaspoon water; stir until smooth. Stir
in food coloring.
- Add food coloring...
Forum: Quilting September 29th 06, 08:02 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 38
Posted By Julia in MN
EOT (eventually on topic)

I have used the hooks; they work well. I have even bought them at the
grocery store. I didn't realize that they had such a variety of Command
products. 3M makes lots of good stuff. I grew up in a...
Forum: Quilting September 28th 06, 09:47 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 5
Posted By Julia in MN
Looking for Teddy Bear Toile fabric

Not the same, but this Winnie the Pooh fabric is similar:
http://www.thefabricfinder.com/Novelty%20Quilting%20Winnie%20the%20Pooh.htm
I've gotten that at Hobby Lobby.

Julia in MN

Scorpio...
Forum: Quilting September 28th 06, 06:46 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 35
Posted By Julia in MN
Mini happy dance :)

Very nice -- and I noticed you used a "piping hot binding" too :)

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
Forum: Quilting September 27th 06, 11:05 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 12
Posted By Julia in MN
There's nothing to beat....

That is a great feeling -- savor it!

I had a similar feeling yesterday. A couple years ago, I surprised my
sister-in-law with a quilted throw. She loved it and keeps it on her
bed. Yesterday she...
Forum: Quilting September 27th 06, 10:51 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 29
Posted By Julia in MN
Quilts and Museums [fairly long]

Good response. Let us know how they respond.

Julia in MN

KI Graham wrote:
Here's my somewhat lengthy response to the request to show my quilts in an
"interactive" museum. Thanks everyone for...
Forum: Quilting September 27th 06, 02:39 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 15
Posted By Julia in MN
OT - new pictures on webshots

One thing that I've found helps prevent wavy borders is to
machine-stitch close to the edge of the quilt before sewing on the
binding. It helps keep the edges from stretching when you sew on the...
Forum: Quilting September 27th 06, 03:37 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 17
Posted By Julia in MN
OT: Airbags (was Reporting On Progress Toward Quilting AGAIN)

There are a few things we can do to reduce injury by airbag. One is to
sit as far back from the airbag as possible to reduce somewhat the
impact. If you are a passenger, move your seat back as far...
Forum: Quilting September 26th 06, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 59
Posted By Julia in MN
Most used machine

I have an Elna Quilter's Dream. I love it. I also have a Singer 401 that
I bought on a garage sale a year or so ago for $7. It's a good backup
machine -- also works well for machine quilting...
Forum: Quilting September 25th 06, 04:37 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 43
Posted By Julia in MN
Egg Money Quilts Book hunting was Want to join a BOM

One difference is that a lot of germs need some moisture to survive.
Most library books stay on the shelves long enough so that a lot of
germs will have died. I've read a lot of library books and...
Forum: Quilting September 25th 06, 04:33 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 43
Posted By Julia in MN
Egg Money Quilts Book hunting was Want to join a BOM

Cats wrote:
selling eggs from a few chickens tended by the "lady of the
house" was a common way for women to earn a little extra
cash up to about WWII. Very common during the Depression.
Forum: Quilting September 25th 06, 01:48 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 64
Posted By Julia in MN
Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

It's definitely on my want-to-do list. I want to do it in blues.

Julia in MN

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Focus on Design is my once in a while thread. I start one when the moods
strikes. The...
Forum: Quilting September 24th 06, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 7
Posted By Julia in MN
Need Help finding

My favorite quick and easy baby quilt pattern is Warm Wishes
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt4/. It takes 4 fabrics; add a
border with the 5th if you like.

Julia in MN

Barbara Sherrill...
Forum: Quilting September 24th 06, 02:54 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 10
Posted By Julia in MN
Battings: MQ vs HQ recommendations

I use Hobbs Heirloom cotton/poly blend for most of my hand and machine
quilting, though for table runners, I often use Warm and Natural (or
Warm and White). I have also used Hobbs PolyDown, but...
Forum: Quilting September 21st 06, 03:19 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 31
Posted By Julia in MN
Drunkard's path -- help please

KI Graham wrote:
Check out http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham/partners/solomon.html
I give three methods for making the basic "drunkard's path" unit as part of
Solomon's Puzzle If you follow the...
Forum: Quilting September 21st 06, 03:29 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 11
Posted By Julia in MN
Y Seams....Help, Please!

Kim Graham's description of how to do a LeMoyne star might help, too.
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham/basic/8point.htm

Julia in MN

Louise wrote:
I was going to try to describe how I do it, but...
Forum: Quilting September 20th 06, 09:54 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 7
Posted By Julia in MN
Figuring Fabric for Binding

Tricia wrote:
I seem to recall reading somewhere or seeing demonstrated a way to make
a continous binding strip out of a length of fabric but can't for the
life of me remember where or the...
Forum: Quilting September 20th 06, 06:13 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 22
Posted By Julia in MN
Quilt Guild Websites

My local guild's is pretty basic. It's actually in my personal webspace
and provides a repository for the current newsletter and lotto block:
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/QSHome.html. I also...
Forum: Quilting September 19th 06, 03:24 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 4
Posted By Julia in MN
Okay, I'm confused -- what's with the trolls and what does PPmean?

PP means paper-piecing. There are two types of paper-piecing: foundation
paper piecing (FPP) and English paper piecing (EPP). PP probably refers
to foundation paper piecing, as that seems to be the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 123