Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jack Schmidling
Forum: Jewelry March 10th 11, 09:51 AM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 4
Posted By Jack Schmidling
I need Info

You might want to look at my Gem site:

http://schmidling.com/gems.htm

To get an idea of what can be done along your lines of interest.

As a point of interest, there is a quantum leap...
Forum: Jewelry January 27th 11, 04:58 AM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 14
Posted By Jack Schmidling
Thank you the jewelry group

On 1/26/2011 1:54 AM, Peter W. Rowe wrote:

barf it up? Love ya too, Jack. Had a bad day, didja?

Good grief Peter, don't think it was me that had a bad day.

The most exciting thing that...
Forum: Jewelry January 26th 11, 08:26 AM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 14
Posted By Jack Schmidling
Thank you the jewelry group

On 1/16/2011 7:37 PM, Peter W. Rowe wrote:

What I AM interested in doing is finding another moderator. I've done it now
for 15 years.

I have been reading newsgroups for over 25 years and...
Forum: Jewelry January 26th 11, 08:26 AM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 14
Posted By Jack Schmidling
Thank you the jewelry group

On 1/16/2011 7:37 PM, Peter W. Rowe wrote:

What I AM interested in doing is finding another moderator. I've done it now
for 15 years.

I have been reading newsgroups for over 25 years and...
Forum: Jewelry June 29th 10, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 8
Posted By Jack Schmidling
Siver Soldering/Brazing

Lots of good advice here but the only thing that makes it as difficult
as it sounds is that you don't have anything to practice on so you
have to get it right.

I am no expert but have done a good...
Forum: Jewelry June 27th 10, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 9
Posted By Jack Schmidling
Polishing compound question

When I originally responded to this

I have faceted several topaz roughs using the same setup I use for
everything else with no problems at all. They polish out brilliant
and clean.

I use ASM...
Forum: Jewelry May 12th 10, 02:22 AM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 9
Posted By Jack Schmidling
New Project

Ted Frater wrote:
Its now time to go back to first principles, and redesign the butter dish.
What else in my kitchen uses a dish? Lots of things, What comes to mind
1st is the cheese dish.

I...
Forum: Jewelry May 10th 10, 06:43 AM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 9
Posted By Jack Schmidling
New Project

Nice to see some serious consideration for my lifetime of frustration.

There is one issue that has not been taken into consideration other than
the obvious. Temperature has a profound effect on...
Forum: Jewelry May 4th 10, 08:52 PM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 9
Posted By Jack Schmidling
New Project

It's a lot easier to talk about a new project than to actually get
started. However, talking about it can provide the motivation to
actually get started. Sort of putting my money where my mouth...
Forum: Jewelry May 4th 10, 01:53 AM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 3
Posted By Jack Schmidling
What Happened?

{{moderator's addition:}}

The "f bomb" wasn't in an actual message body. it was in the little script file
used to introduce quoted text

I don't understand that but I too was shocked seeing...
Forum: Jewelry April 14th 10, 06:39 AM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 0
Posted By Jack Schmidling
Nice surprise!

I was so excited when I finally got broad band access that I never even
bothered asking the ISP if USENET was available.

This is so much nicer that the web based Googling.

The tines on the fork...
Forum: Jewelry March 25th 10, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 10
Posted By Jack Schmidling
Gold Plating

Thanks for the info Peter.

Before reading this, I took one of the forks out and heated it in a
torch expecting the change of color series seen in steel.

I have no idea how hot it got because I quit...
Forum: Jewelry March 24th 10, 09:34 AM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 10
Posted By Jack Schmidling
Gold Plating

My fork tines are again beginning to show the blueing we previously
discussed so I guess my quick fix with the pickle was just a flash in
the pan.

My next attempt will be to "temper" the tines. I...
Forum: Jewelry February 20th 10, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 16
Posted By Jack Schmidling
Silver Blueing

I was wondering when Peter would pop in and sort it all out.

Thanks for that explanation of the probable cause of the problem. I
don't claim to understand it all but at least it fits the...
Forum: Jewelry February 17th 10, 06:13 AM Posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Replies: 16
Posted By Jack Schmidling
Silver Blueing

First of all, some comments on the group.

Glad to see a few names here that I recognize from the past. I tend
to hop around from hobby to hobby like a jack in the box and have been
obsessed with...
Forum: Sewing December 13th 06, 05:37 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing
Replies: 7
Posted By Jack Schmidling
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Tailoring

Ever wonder why a well made gentleman's jacket looks so good on men who
may not make much impression in a bathing suit?

Ever wonder what is inside one or why those who can afford them are
willing to...
Showing results 1 to 16 of 16