Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.56 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Julia in MN
Forum: Quilting June 2nd 08, 03:46 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 6
Posted By Julia in MN
OT Boca Jan sewing knits

I haven't done much with knits recently & when I do, I tend to use the
serger. But before I had the serger, I found that a roller presser foot
was handy when sewing knits. They don't seem to...
Forum: Quilting June 2nd 08, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 13
Posted By Julia in MN
Cleaning a Rowenta Iron

I use the Dritz Iron-Off on my Rowenta with the stainless steel sole
plate. It works just fine.

Julia in MN

Pat in Virginia wrote:
When I clean an iron soleplate, I usually use the Faultless Hot...
Forum: Quilting June 2nd 08, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 29
Posted By Julia in MN
If you love quilts... and love cows.... OR

St. Paul, MN, (Charles Shulz' home town) had Peanuts characters a few
years ago. We saw cows in New Glarus, WI, a few years ago. My favorite,
though, was in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in 2001. They used...
Forum: Quilting May 30th 08, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 15
Posted By Julia in MN
Hollow Tumbling Block Quilt

I almost hate to tell you this, John, but this quilt can be done quite
easily without any set-in seams. Sarah Nephew has the pattern in her
book "Big Book of Building Block Quilts". None of the...
Forum: Quilting May 25th 08, 04:15 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 7
Posted By Julia in MN
OT-Garment sewists question

If you have a Hancock Fabrics near you, they have McCall's & Butterick
patterns on sale this weekend for 88 cents. McCall's will also be on
sale for 99 cents at Hobby Lobby next week. I don't mess...
Forum: Quilting May 25th 08, 04:11 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 27
Posted By Julia in MN
Surprising blocks

I think the one block wonder quilt is easiest to put together if you
have sewn half hexagons. You arrange them on a design wall with the
matching halves lined up together, then sew the halves in...
Forum: Quilting May 24th 08, 05:02 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 21
Posted By Julia in MN
need fast award ribbon idea

Or put the gathered opening of the yo-yo to the front and put the button
in the middle, over the opening, like I did on this jacket:
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/YellowJacketDetail.JPG. Of...
Forum: Quilting May 24th 08, 12:09 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 18
Posted By Julia in MN
paper pieced pattern from Quiltmaker

Bending the paper back and forth at the seam line helps a bit, as does
running the tip of the seam ripper or stiletto along the line. It's okay
to leave some "crumbs" stuck in the stitches. Carol...
Forum: Quilting May 22nd 08, 01:22 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 2
Posted By Julia in MN
Stack & Whack / Kaleidescope Quilts

A six-pointed star takes 6 repeats and an eight-pointed star takes 8
repeats. If the repeats are 12", you would need at least 2 yards for the
six-pointed star and 2-2/3 yards for the 8-pointed...
Forum: Quilting May 21st 08, 06:22 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 2
Posted By Julia in MN
Raffle Quilt Label

lots of ideas he http://thegoldenthimble.com/quiltdedications.html

This does suggest including block size and whether done by hand or
machine; I don't find that information particularly useful...
Forum: Quilting May 19th 08, 10:01 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 4
Posted By Julia in MN
Rid-Jid Ironing board

My 41 year old Rid-Jid board takes standard ironing board covers,
available most anywhere ironing stuff is sold.

Julia in MN

MB in MT wrote:

-------------------------------------
does...
Forum: Quilting May 19th 08, 08:20 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 1
Posted By Julia in MN
Fairfield cotton batting

Have any of you tried the Fairfield 80/20 cotton/poly batting? If so, do
you like it? Why or why not? I like the Hobbs 80/20, but JoAnn's no
longer carries it. They do have the Fairfield batting....
Forum: Quilting May 19th 08, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 41
Posted By Julia in MN
English paper piecing.

My feelings exactly. The precut ones are probably cut more accurately
than I would be able to cut them.

Julia in MN

Lobo wrote:
Ack .... I couldn't stand to cut the templates ... you get 20-50...
Forum: Quilting May 17th 08, 01:20 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 32
Posted By Julia in MN
why don't you make clothes?

I've used a few Palmer & Pletsch patterns from McCall's (they are mixed
in in the regular McCall's pattern book). They include excellent,
detailed fitting instructions. I just bought this one for a...
Forum: Quilting May 17th 08, 01:59 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 32
Posted By Julia in MN
why don't you make clothes?

I sometimes do make clothes, but I'm in jeans and t-shirts so much and
they are much easier to buy than to make. I've sewn just about any
garment that can be sewn -- lingerie, tailored jackets...
Forum: Quilting May 16th 08, 03:56 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 14
Posted By Julia in MN
OT - canada geese

We've got a lot more than we need here in Rochester, MN, too, so many
that the city fathers are trying to take measures to discourage some of
them. Apparently we have some Giant Canada Geese that...
Forum: Quilting May 16th 08, 01:53 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 15
Posted By Julia in MN
Marianne Fons talk

I quilt because I have a closet full of fabric :) Of course, I have all
that fabric because I enjoy quilting -- and shopping for fabric for a
new project. It's fun to give a quilt-y gift. And...
Forum: Quilting May 16th 08, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 65
Posted By Julia in MN
OTOT fashion whine

I've just been looking for a nice basic warm weather dress -- not a sun
dress, not a clingy poly/spandex knit. I can't just wear my old stuff --
it's all too big since I lost weight over winter....
Forum: Quilting May 14th 08, 02:17 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 15
Posted By Julia in MN
any tips for this FM problem

Another problem with thread basting is that you can stitch right through
a basting thread and that makes it hard to remove. You may be able to
avoid the ones on the top because you can see them,...
Forum: Quilting May 13th 08, 11:44 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 15
Posted By Julia in MN
any tips for this FM problem

I don't thread baste if I'm machine quilting. I use safety pins, a
basting gun, or basting spray. Actually, I don't thread baste for hand
quilting either -- it's either safety pins or a basting gun...
Forum: Quilting May 13th 08, 10:34 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 10
Posted By Julia in MN
2 New Baby Quilts posted!

Playing a little devil's advocate here.... The pattern is not quite that
simple -- it looks 5 of the bigger squares are also nine-patches,
similar to a single Irish chain. Still pretty simple...
Forum: Quilting May 13th 08, 10:21 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 8
Posted By Julia in MN
OT Postal costs increase USA

You'll pay 42 cents for forever stamps now. The price of the forever
stamps is the same as the current first class price. Of course, if you
really want some that someone paid 41 cents for, you can...
Forum: Quilting May 13th 08, 02:07 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 13
Posted By Julia in MN
Silk ties...

You can also foundation piece; then you don't need the interfacing.
Karen Stone did her New York Beauty workshop for our guild last week.
She showed us one that she did using neckties and necktie...
Forum: Quilting May 12th 08, 05:49 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 13
Posted By Julia in MN
OT Cameras

You can use rechargeable AA batteries, too. I have a Fujifilm camera
that uses AA batteries -- have had it for about 6 years. I have
rechargable batteries, but I think they are about worn out, as...
Forum: Quilting May 12th 08, 12:10 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 6
Posted By Julia in MN
OT MOther's Day Greetings

I had a great Mother's Day with DD. We did the 5k walk for the Komen
Race for the Cure in suburban Minneapolis, MN. There were about 50,000
people participating in the event; it's the 2nd largest...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500