Showing results 1 to 25 of 65
Search took 0.04 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Aaron Lewis
Forum: Yarn January 28th 08, 06:47 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 23
Posted By Aaron Lewis
Felting(fulling) in a front-loading washer?

We have a "Meile" front loader - and it is careful not to subject loads to
sudden temperature shocks. Thus, I use the "hot" cotton setting for fulling
items knit out of ordinary wool. With other...
Forum: Yarn August 21st 07, 09:48 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 16
Posted By Aaron Lewis
uneven knit and purl rows

Your change in tension is every third row, so it is not just knitting
differently than purling. With the two cables crossed 3 rows and 8 stitches
apart, I suspect is related to the cables pulling...
Forum: Yarn August 17th 07, 06:29 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 13
Posted By Aaron Lewis
The ideal yarn for baby blankets?

What do you like to knit? That is very likely the right fiber. Close your
eyes. What yarn feels good running through your fingers?Open your eyes.
What produces a gorgeous fabric?

Do not worry...
Forum: Yarn August 14th 07, 07:25 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 7
Posted By Aaron Lewis
need input on new needles please!

Let us say you have a wood like the dowels that they sell at the hobby
stores.

I cut to length with my pruning shears, trim with a pencil sharpener, and
sand the tips to shape (maybe with the help...
Forum: Yarn August 14th 07, 01:24 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 7
Posted By Aaron Lewis
need input on new needles please!

Finish with tung oil if the wood is not real hard and smooth.
Tung oil really does produce a nice finish, but it is a lot of work,
expensive, and stinky.

Other varnishes do work.

In any case, I...
Forum: Yarn July 30th 07, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 28
Posted By Aaron Lewis
Floods in England

Why is not having FEMA a good thing?
1) In New Orleans, FEMA caused as many problems as they fixed.
2) They spent a lot of money.

There was a time when FEMA was one of the best organizations in the...
Forum: Yarn July 29th 07, 01:40 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 30
Posted By Aaron Lewis
The "mother" of all yarn stashes!!

Look at the yarn in the photos. Is it yarn that YOU really want? Or, is it
just a lot of yarn?

Just having a lot of yarn does not make it a good stash.

Aaron

"Vintage Purls"...
Forum: Yarn July 26th 07, 10:22 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 12
Posted By Aaron Lewis
touching and feeling fine antique steel knitting needles

What a great set of steel needles!

I would love to know what those "gold" tips are.

Would you mind taking them to Antiques Road show the next time it comes
around?

Aaron
Forum: Yarn July 26th 07, 09:53 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 27
Posted By Aaron Lewis
Needles loved and needles hated

Rubbing the tips on a stone floor will at least keep the tips from being
slippery G

All you folks trying to knit lace from those super-slippery synthetic yarns
might remember that. ...
Forum: Yarn July 26th 07, 09:48 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 27
Posted By Aaron Lewis
Needles loved and needles hated

If you do not want to use them, give them a mist of WD-40 and keep them very
dry. For things like that I have little packets of desiccant (drier) that I
get at camera shops. The desiccant gets...
Forum: Yarn July 26th 07, 12:15 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 12
Posted By Aaron Lewis
touching and feeling fine antique steel knitting needles

That is what I thought.

I could not see cast iron needles as being pleasant to use.

Thanks for the info.

Aaron

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message...
Forum: Yarn July 26th 07, 12:09 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 12
Posted By Aaron Lewis
touching and feeling fine antique steel knitting needles

Are you sure that they are steel? Have you checked with a magnet? They might
be silver with gold plated tips?
For example, coin silver would be quite firm with a slight springiness. It
would...
Forum: Yarn July 25th 07, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 27
Posted By Aaron Lewis
Needles loved and needles hated

First try polishing the rust off with crocus cloth. (It is cloth coated with
a reddish orange abrasive.)

If that does not work, try 600 grit emery paper. If you end up using the
600 grit emery...
Forum: Yarn July 25th 07, 10:36 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 27
Posted By Aaron Lewis
Needles loved and needles hated; OT, too much about needles and not enought about yarn.

.."Mary Fisher" wrote in message

"Aaron Lewis" wrote in message
Forum: Yarn July 25th 07, 12:44 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 27
Posted By Aaron Lewis
Needles loved and needles hated

The cast tools that I had were bought long ago, and very cheaply.

Casting is an old technology that is very tolerant of poor quality materials. Get a bit of slag in a casting pour, and all that...
Forum: Yarn July 24th 07, 10:01 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 12
Posted By Aaron Lewis
touching and feeling fine antique steel knitting needles

Are those cast iron needles still extant? If not, what happened to them?
What was (or is) it like to knit with them?

Aaron

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message...
Forum: Yarn July 24th 07, 09:44 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 12
Posted By Aaron Lewis
touching and feeling fine antique steel knitting needles

That is a wonderful set.

Any idea how the needles were made? (i.e., are the needles springy? )

Aaron
"Shirley Shone" wrote in message...
Forum: Yarn July 24th 07, 09:38 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 27
Posted By Aaron Lewis
Needles loved and needles hated

I just know, what I have seen in old ads. (Although, I do not seem to be
able to locate an example on the internet that I can show you now.)

This question whether some old steel needles were cast ...
Forum: Yarn July 24th 07, 01:20 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 12
Posted By Aaron Lewis
touching and feeling fine antique steel knitting needles

I have just been allowed to touch and feel a set of "Superfine Knitting
Needles" made by THOs Harper & Sons', Redditch England
full set No. 17. While I have looked at them with a hand lens, I have...
Forum: Yarn July 20th 07, 05:42 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 17
Posted By Aaron Lewis
Knitting Camp 2007 report LONG

And, now that you can strand with both hands, that opens up a whole range
of stranding techniques that you can now do expeditiously. "Fair Isle" (and
other stranding techniques) knitting is much...
Forum: Yarn July 17th 07, 09:16 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 23
Posted By Aaron Lewis
Clarification

I think that for sauce Béarnaise, it is classic to pickle the tarragon in
vinegar for the winter.

Aaron
"Bernadette" wrote in message...
Forum: Yarn July 16th 07, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 23
Posted By Aaron Lewis
It's arrived!

I thought that big old clumps of tarragon were called "Russian", and when
you dug the clumps up every so often and divided them up so that they grew
more rapidly, it was "French."

I have easily...
Forum: Yarn July 16th 07, 09:02 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 27
Posted By Aaron Lewis
Needles loved and needles hated

Is there a convention among knitters not to consider aluminum, a metal?

My 2 cents is that for travel, I like wooden or bamboo needles because I
find that I am less likely to drop a stitch. While...
Forum: Yarn July 15th 07, 09:42 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 27
Posted By Aaron Lewis
Needles loved and needles hated

The simple answer is "No." I have not been able to get my hands on a set of
"old" gansey needles for testing.

Many of the Victorian era steel needles in shorter lengths were cast. Those
needles...
Forum: Yarn July 15th 07, 07:15 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 16
Posted By Aaron Lewis
stash find

I find that people make their own luck when it comes to "lucky finds" of
wool. Those that are out there looking, find.

We have 4 thrift stores that I visit on a regular basis. Of those, one...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 65