Showing results 1 to 25 of 141
Search took 0.05 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: DKat
Forum: Pottery November 3rd 07, 05:43 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 12
Posted By DKat
sieve screens

This has become a matter of principle. I will find this filter....
http://www.goodmans.net/item.asp?n=FZ-1666&k=FZ-1666&sc=NXTG
Everything else looks like...
Forum: Pottery November 3rd 07, 04:49 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 12
Posted By DKat
sieve screens

http://www.amazon.com/Krups-026-33-Gold-Coffee-Filter/dp/B00004SPCY

Is this the type you are referring to?

"Bob Masta" wrote in message...
Forum: Pottery November 2nd 07, 12:39 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 12
Posted By DKat
sieve screens

Thanks Wayne. I just bought a torch to play with smoking some pots (put a
pitfire type pot in a metal bowl with wood chips and torch the chips). I'm
not sure how I will get even heating and keep...
Forum: Pottery November 1st 07, 06:39 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 12
Posted By DKat
sieve screens

P.S. Bob - you do know how to have fun! - "It's 110 mesh (hand-counted
under microscope!) "

"Bob Masta" wrote in message
On Wed,...
Forum: Pottery November 1st 07, 06:37 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 12
Posted By DKat
sieve screens

Thank you for going to that work for me. I had been to that site and gave
up on trying to find the right cloth.

I plan on taking one of my 5 gallon plastic buckets, cutting off the bottom
and...
Forum: Pottery October 26th 07, 08:36 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 2
Posted By DKat
Surface Decoration Idea Book

Photo copy? If you use a printer that has iron in the ink then it can just
be used on top of the glaze I think (I've never done it but
http://www.potters.org/subject78640.htm). Or place the...
Forum: Pottery October 23rd 07, 01:11 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 25
Posted By DKat
Them wobbles - wheel throwing

"Bubbles_" wrote in message

"DKat" wrote in message

Forum: Pottery October 20th 07, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 23
Posted By DKat
watering dry clay

Marianne

PS - mentioned the cone discussion to my teacher, and used the words "you
must do such-and-such" (translating to German is not my forte), and she
just looked at me and said...
Forum: Pottery October 19th 07, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 25
Posted By DKat
Them wobbles - wheel throwing

"Bubbles_" wrote in message

"DKat" wrote in message
Sorry...
Forum: Pottery October 17th 07, 03:00 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 25
Posted By DKat
Them wobbles - wheel throwing

P.S. a vent is a good thing to have on your kiln - firing it with the peep
holes open is not.
Forum: Pottery October 17th 07, 02:58 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 25
Posted By DKat
Them wobbles - wheel throwing

"Peter" wrote in message

"Bubbles_"

I have seen a lot of potters throwing pretty uncentered pieces,
but I...
Forum: Pottery October 13th 07, 09:48 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 23
Posted By DKat
watering dry clay

My wheel does 0-250 RPM - however there is wide variance in how fast people
turn their wheels when they throw. I have seen people work at such slow
speeds that it makes me grit my teeth - others...
Forum: Pottery October 12th 07, 11:17 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 32
Posted By DKat
Chemistry basics for potters?

Oops - meant to say - I would only do that as a test to try to track down
what is going on. Go to clayart (www.potters.org) and do a search for
blistering or blisters in Title and Body - many...
Forum: Pottery October 12th 07, 10:52 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 32
Posted By DKat
Chemistry basics for potters?

You so DON'T sound like the amateur you pretend to be... :)

Donna

"Bubbles_" wrote in message

"DKat" ...
Forum: Pottery October 12th 07, 04:52 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 32
Posted By DKat
Chemistry basics for potters?

Put a scatch in the glaze with your nail. Also your glazes will thicken
over time and need to be thinned. How much glaze do you have and do you
have a scale?

"Bubbles_" ...
Forum: Pottery October 12th 07, 04:07 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 32
Posted By DKat
Chemistry basics for potters?

Ok, another idea - try firing the piece once with the first glaze. Then
paint on the 'beautifier' (that is just such a weird term) and fire again.
See what happens in that case.

"Bubbles_"...
Forum: Pottery October 12th 07, 12:17 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 23
Posted By DKat
watering dry clay

"Bob Masta" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:38:59 -0400, Wes wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but I bought...
Forum: Pottery October 11th 07, 05:50 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 18
Posted By DKat
Those darned bubbles!

Let me see if I can rephrase into common ground. There are low fired,
mid-fired and high-fired pottery. Low fire is typically your earthenware,
raku, majolica, etc. Mid-fire can be functional...
Forum: Pottery October 9th 07, 07:00 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 32
Posted By DKat
Chemistry basics for potters?

I'm real confused (again) - you just go to goggle to get a gmail account
don't you? Or are you referring to belonging to a group?

I tried having clayart emailed to me and was soon so overwhelmed...
Forum: Pottery October 9th 07, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 18
Posted By DKat
Those darned bubbles!

I just re-read this and am real confused - is that 1270 C? In which case
you are firing to ~ cone 10?

Wow that must be hard to get to in a a small hobby kiln. How many hours
does it take? Why...
Forum: Pottery October 9th 07, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 32
Posted By DKat
Chemistry basics for potters?

Sorry about top posting but I just don't buy that the other is more polite -
if you haven't kept up, the old message is there for reference - otherwise
why should you have to read it all to get to...
Forum: Pottery October 9th 07, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 6
Posted By DKat
! EBAY Fraud (3 fates)

Thanks Bob for the reminder on what I once knew but carelessly forgot
(Never! put your complete faith in your virus checker - it is only a filter
with holes). Donna

"Bob Masta"...
Forum: Pottery September 28th 07, 11:44 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 32
Posted By DKat
Chemistry basics for potters?

The first thing I would have recommended you do is to go to these sites and
read what they have. There is more than you will ever want to know on the
digitalfire site about chemistry. It is an...
Forum: Pottery September 27th 07, 12:28 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 18
Posted By DKat
Those darned bubbles!

I'm assuming you are also posting on clayart where you might have more luck
of overlapping with someone using these glazes.

With that high of humidity don't dunk the pots (I only rinse mine under...
Forum: Pottery September 26th 07, 10:09 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 18
Posted By DKat
Those darned bubbles!

Hi Marianne!

I'm home sick with flu and not functioning 100% so bare (or is that bear)
with me...

First, you should use cones on all firings or at least do regular spot
checks. You need to know...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 141