Showing results 1 to 25 of 99
Search took 4.24 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: DKat
Forum: Pottery June 23rd 08, 04:25 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 4
Posted By DKat
Pottery-related Mystery Novel

what could be better! two of my favorite things wrapped as one. donna
"Bob Masta" wrote in message
Semi-OT:

Potters who are...
Forum: Pottery June 10th 08, 05:57 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 7
Posted By DKat
Plaster Mould of a ball, what to use for separation?

"Bob Masta" wrote in message

Plaster doesn't convert back to gypsum until something like 250-300F
or more, depending on how...
Forum: Pottery June 10th 08, 05:55 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 7
Posted By DKat
Plaster Mould of a ball, what to use for separation?

"Gap" wrote in message
Bob and Donna,
thanks for all your input!
It is not a problem to make the...
Forum: Pottery April 10th 08, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 5
Posted By DKat
Kilns - more than one way to skin a Kat

http://home.earthlink.net/~crookedtreepots/id15.html
http://www.corvusmoon.com/kiln.htm
http://www.robertcomptonpottery.com/Kilns-Books&Tips.htm

as a start

wrote in...
Forum: Pottery March 25th 08, 08:35 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 1
Posted By DKat
Woodfire with Willem Gebben.

Envious of those who can attend - I assume this is in the Midwest of USA....

"Lee In Mashiko, Japan" wrote in message...
Forum: Pottery March 11th 08, 05:10 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 4
Posted By DKat
Miller 510 white stoneware firing range

Thank you for sharing. This is good to have. Donna

"Bruce Glassford" wrote in message
Haven't tried Miller 510, but I...
Forum: Pottery March 7th 08, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 4
Posted By DKat
Miller 510 white stoneware firing range

Yes, I was being lazy and hoping someone else had done the work for me.
This clay seems very different to me than highfire stoneware I used to work
with - my guess is that it has a huge amount of...
Forum: Pottery March 6th 08, 03:50 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 4
Posted By DKat
Miller 510 white stoneware firing range

I am reposting this from clayart. I know our room is small but I'm hoping
this might get more notice here since it has gotten none in clayart.

I have some 510 (miller) which I got from another...
Forum: Pottery March 6th 08, 03:47 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 12
Posted By DKat
Artist should be valued

"Bob Masta" wrote in message Agreed. As far as
cutting school programs, it seems to me that
competitive sports should be the first thing cut. I don't think
schools need...
Forum: Pottery March 5th 08, 06:12 PM Posted to alt.art,rec.crafts.pottery,us.arts
Replies: 12
Posted By DKat
Artist should be valued

Should not it be the case that you argue for the carpenter being allowed to
deduct the value of what they have produced instead of arguing that artist
can't because carpenters can't? I...
Forum: Pottery February 28th 08, 05:02 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 1
Posted By DKat
Hello all

http://www.uwrf.edu/~W1044055/

If you like painting still, you might like the above site. Welcome back!

Donna

wrote in message...
Forum: Pottery February 8th 08, 06:26 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 1
Posted By DKat
big pitcher

You should be able to join Flicker and upload it there. I'm surprised that
you can get away with the bottom piece being leather hard. I have seen this
done before but typically the first piece is...
Forum: Pottery January 25th 08, 06:57 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 6
Posted By DKat
Happy New Ears, Everyone

The problem is going to be that it loses it's water and layering. They clay
particles themselves would have to be too small to 'damaged' by the ice
crystals but the nice layers you get from...
Forum: Pottery January 7th 08, 06:41 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 0
Posted By DKat
WD 40 - sorry, can't remember

I got this in my email and vaguely remember being told in here that WD40 was
not good for you but I can't remember why... Anyone?

WD-40 Well, Who Knew...? I had a neighbor who had bought a new...
Forum: Pottery January 4th 08, 08:17 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 2
Posted By DKat
One down .... dozens to go....

We have received a large number of complaints regarding one of our
former customers flooding various newsgroups with "MI5 Persecution"
posts. We have removed this customer from our active database...
Forum: Pottery December 5th 07, 04:06 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 12
Posted By DKat
Talc!

Apparently Ceramic Supplies (NJ) gets its talc from a mine in Connecticut
where the talc has been contaminated with asbestos. The University
Environmental 'police' confiscated our talc and were...
Forum: Pottery December 5th 07, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 12
Posted By DKat
Talc!

Thanks Bob. I figured there had to be some reason Magnesium carb wasn't
being used. Nice to know before I invest the time.
Donna
"Bob Masta" wrote in message...
Forum: Pottery December 4th 07, 07:28 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 12
Posted By DKat
Talc!

The writing on the wall is that the University is not going to allow us to
use Talc either in our glazes or our clays (how in the world you are
supposed to find that out given the mix we have that...
Forum: Pottery November 20th 07, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 8
Posted By DKat
Glaze remelting/refiring

Your glaze in the second firing is actually going to be melting at a lower
temperature so unless the firing was at too low a temperature for your
glazes to begin with then my answer would be no. I...
Forum: Pottery November 20th 07, 05:50 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 4
Posted By DKat
Kudos to Wayne: Bikextruder in Clay Times

You know.... I think I'll pass on that one! I went through a Hurricane was
about 2 decades ago and even though I loved the beauty of it, I would rather
not wish that on other people for my own...
Forum: Pottery November 20th 07, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 8
Posted By DKat
Glaze remelting/refiring

Not stupid question at all. The second firing of a glaze is not the same as
the first. Before the first firing you had one set of chemicals. After the
firing you have a glass which has undergone...
Forum: Pottery November 20th 07, 02:25 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 0
Posted By DKat
cobalt pricing

I posted this in Clayart but think I forgot to mention it her. There seems
to be a huge range in cobalt oxide pricing right now. I was wondering if
anyone knew about the range of...
Forum: Pottery November 19th 07, 05:22 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 4
Posted By DKat
Kudos to Wayne: Bikextruder in Clay Times

"WJS" wrote in message
Why, thank you Bob (blush). I wasn't sure anyone would notice g.
For those of you that do not receive...
Forum: Pottery November 16th 07, 08:58 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 1
Posted By DKat
For Dkat - kiln vent openings

Yeah, we call those peep holes and only use them for checking the cones (or
at least everyone I know treats them that way). Venting is done with holes
drilled into the bottom of the kiln and then...
Forum: Pottery November 16th 07, 12:37 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 8
Posted By DKat
thin crust of glaze

I don't know about kitty litter being bentonite (and I would certainly not
use litter that has odor control added). You should be able to get the
bentonite from the same company you get your...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 99