Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Forum: Yarn June 14th 07, 04:38 PM Posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 273
Posted By [email protected]
Home again.

Dear Olwyn Mary,

I empathize with you and hope you will feel better soon. I've had a
violent cough since March, and my doctor has yet to be able to
pinpoint the cause. I'm glad you have been...
Forum: Needlework June 14th 07, 04:38 PM Posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 264
Posted By [email protected]
Home again.

Dear Olwyn Mary,

I empathize with you and hope you will feel better soon. I've had a
violent cough since March, and my doctor has yet to be able to
pinpoint the cause. I'm glad you have been...
Forum: Sewing February 9th 07, 09:27 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 6
Posted By [email protected]
Wool Crepe Fabric - HELP!!

Dear Mignon,

First, wool crepe must be handled very carefully. Never put an iron
directly on it or press hard, or you will end up with shiny fabric.
Next, it should definitely be lined. If there...
Forum: Sewing January 30th 07, 04:11 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Marilyn's Blazer

Dear Jack,

The jacket turned out great, and your wife is lovely, too. Can't wait
for your next project.

Teri
Forum: Sewing December 30th 06, 08:44 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Has anyone ever worked with unprinted vintage patterns?

Dear Kelly,

I used them when there were not any others. And several years ago, I
found a treasure trove of such patterns in a costume shop that was
being thoroughly cleaned for the first time in...
Forum: Sewing December 14th 06, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
Fitting Pants

Dear Andrea,

That means that the crotch is not deep enough. Rip out the top of the
legs, where you sewed the "U" of the crotch curve. Rip the legs down
to the knees (or thereabouts). Add a...
Forum: Sewing December 13th 06, 04:37 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
Fitting Pants

Men's (boys') pants are measured different than women's. Establish the
waistline with a piece of elastic tied around the child's waist.
Measure from the elastic to the floor in three areas--center...
Forum: Sewing December 7th 06, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 17
Posted By [email protected]
Crepe backed satin

Dear SR Glickman,

Another tip on sewing seams. Test this first on scraps. Sew a
straight seam, and press it open. You'll see that it probably is very
puckery. Now on another scrap, sew a seam. ...
Forum: Sewing December 1st 06, 09:27 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Sewing with Corduroy...any tips?

Dear Fiveda,

Corduroy can be sewn the same as velvet. First, make sure that you've
cut all the pieces in the same direction. It's very obvious is they
aren't, as the pile catches light...
Forum: Sewing November 13th 06, 08:58 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
Making a Pattern from Existing Clothing

Dear Grace,

You can easily pin draft each piece separately. Make sure that you put
grainlines on each piece. (For example, undercollars are usually cut
in two piece, on the bias.) To pin draft,...
Forum: Sewing October 3rd 06, 10:24 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Bleaching??

You can't use regular bleach on polyester--it will set the yellow. Try
Oxyclean or Miracle White, both in the laundry section at the grocery
store

Teri
Forum: Sewing August 24th 06, 02:12 AM Posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
Saggy bottom

Dear My Word,

Rip the crotch seam open. Remove the ellastic from the lower back
crotch. Pull the back towards the front between your legs, until it
feels better. You may need to re-shape part of...
Forum: Sewing August 21st 06, 05:57 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
wedding dress with manadrain collar...help

Jacquie,

If the dress has a plain jewel neckline, you can make your own mandarin
collar. Here's how: Measure from the center back to the shoulder seam
around the neck. Record this measurement,...
Forum: Sewing August 4th 06, 12:54 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
please bear with a beginner :}

Dear Hlandis,

First, ready-to-wear (RTW) sizes and commercial patterns have no
relation to each other. Patterns come in group sizes. You must have
picked up the 10-12-14 size instead of the...
Forum: Sewing July 23rd 06, 04:25 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
Waistband Interfacing

Dear Friends,

I had a pair of trousers languishing in my closet since last November,
in need only of a waistband. I had no waistband interfacing, and when
I decided I had to get the pants done, I...
Forum: Sewing July 6th 06, 12:03 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Replies: 14
Posted By [email protected]
Rug Repairs: I consider this ssewing--A question

Dear Cea,

Is this a pile rug? If so, you can repair it yourself if you can find
the right colors. A fine wool yarn will work. You need a punch
needle. There are several types--all do the same...
Showing results 1 to 16 of 16