CraftBanter

-   -   mediums/lights? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=34404)

DQLTS October 1st 04 08:51 PM

mediums/lights?

So I am signed up for a class this Sunday afternoon
Log cabin Crazies -by The Buggy Barn.
I am suppose to bring 18 dark FQs and 18 medium/ light FQs.
Problem is I only see light and dark not mediums when I look fabric.
Does anyone else have this problem?
To me whites and pastels are the lights.
Beige,and gray are medium to me.
Sigh I know this is simple but its driving me crazy.

Diana in Dallas

DebsPrintOnIt October 1st 04 10:44 PM

Darks are saturated colors such as navy and red and black ...Mediums are like
blue, red and white, gray and black and white. Lights include fabrics with
just a hint of color, or widely spaced color on white, off-white. Medium-light
would be pwder blue, pink, mellow yellow, gray,...
Debra in Idaho

dogmom October 2nd 04 01:15 AM

I sure don't find such things simple either, esp if you have prints. You
might try taking a piece that you *know* is dark, and one that you *know* is
light. Then pull others and see how they compare. Generally I would consider
beige a medium light (or a light medium, just to make matters fuzzier) and
gray a medium--unless of course it's a very dark gray, or a very light one.

Simple??? Not hardly! Good luck, and have fun!

Dogmom

maryd October 2nd 04 01:22 AM

I'm doing a mystery quilt that calls for light, medium light, medium dark,
and dark. It can be monochromatic or different colors. This is becoming a
real challenge.

--
Mary

DQLTS October 2nd 04 01:27 AM

See my problem is that most of my stash is novelties
how do you do light medium dark in that category.
My novelties will make a great class quilt according
to the teacher if I can figure out light medium & dark.

Diana in Dallas

SunnyQuilt October 2nd 04 01:34 AM

The problem with a medium fabric is that next to one fabric you could call it a
dark; next to another fabric you could call it a light.

Don't worry about it! Just pick out 18 darkish FQs and 18 lighter FQ's and your
log cabin will look wonderful.

SunnyQuilt

Teresa in Colorado October 2nd 04 01:56 AM

This takes a bit of practice - but is well worth the effort imho.

It's difficult to take a bunch of fabrics and organize them light to dark.
Usually I do it and Lori comes over and fixes my mistakes, but I'm getting
better.

I use a ruby beholder (I like the set that has a red and green lense). When
you look through these, the color is removed and you see the value
(light/medium/dark). It helps. Sometimes I can tell by removing my
glasses - it's easier to see the differences in value if the fabrics are
very very blurry.

For this project, I would just be sure that my darks are really dark and
that my medium/lights really light - make sure there is a distinct
difference between the fabrics you are calling dark and the fabrics that you
are calling medium.

Have fun!!
--
Teresa in Colorado

http://home.comcast.net/~treesaquilts
The Presser Foot
www.thepresserfoot.com
-

Betty in Wi October 2nd 04 04:00 AM

Don't worry about what colors are light, medium, dark, etc. You can have
yellows that are light, medium light, medium dark, and dark. One method, if
you are unsure, is to photocopy them in black and white. They will copy in
shades of black and gray and it is easier to see which is light, dark, etc.

Betty

Carolyn McCarty October 2nd 04 04:12 AM

Diana, I have much the same problem. I rely on the pieces of colored
plastic--the Rosy Beholder and also the green one--to check out values.
Absolutely essential for me. I've also used pieces of colored glass in a
pinch, or colored transparencies. The rosy-red helps evaluate every color
except reds, pinks and mauves; and the green is great for checking those
colors. The values of the colors--light, medium and dark--really shows up
when they are seen through the proper colors. You can also take snips of
the fabrics and copy them in black-and-white on your printer/copier. That
would give you a good idea of the values.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo
take out nospam to reply

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green