CraftBanter

-   Pottery (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   skutt 1227 (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=103798)

stan July 7th 09 05:58 AM

skutt 1227

Hi, all.

I recently aquired a skutt 1227, but it is 3-phase 208 at 31 Amps. For
those who don't know, 3-phase is 208 volt times 3, and the skutt 1227
has 3 sections, so each section could draw 31 amps.

Naturally, I am in a residential area, so I only have access to single-
phase 230 volt at perhaps 50 amps. Fortunately, I am not interested in
getting the whole thing running. If I could get even one section
running would be fine.

I think that I can remove two sections and run just one section on
single-phase 230. 230v is only 11% more voltage than 208, so it should
have a good chance of working, right?
I figure that I will start with high and see if the coils get too hot
too quickly. If that seems good, I can try low and see what it temp it
gets up to, then medium and last high.

Has anyone tried such an experiment?
Any advice for a noob? *grin*
Thanks in advance.

Bob Masta[_2_] July 7th 09 12:13 PM

skutt 1227

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:58:19 -0700 (PDT), stan
wrote:

[...]

I haven't tried this, but I'd advise against it
unless an expert approves. The reason is that the
kiln elements are essentially big light-bulb
filaments, whose operating life is inversely
related to the voltage by something like the 11th
power. So a fairly small overvoltage could cause
a drastic shortening of the life.

On the other hand, if you run two sections in
series, they should last forever!

You might also look into adding a tap on one
section, at the (230 - 208) / 230 point, to make a
22 volt section that could be run in series with a
full 208 to get a decent 230 volt load.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v4.51
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter
FREE Signal Generator
Science with your sound card!

charlie July 7th 09 06:01 PM

skutt 1227

"stan" wrote in message
[...]

call skutt. ask to talk to perry. there's a way to retrofit it to run on the
available voltage. you probably just need different elements.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az