CraftBanter

-   Carving (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wood engraving (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=62100)

Alec Powell December 26th 05 04:52 PM

Wood engraving

Hi there rec.crafts.carving people,
Are there any wood engravers in this newsgroup?
I've been a wood carver for some years now, (and occasionally
contributed to this group), and have decided to try my hand at hand
engraving. I've tried a bit of this in the past using my trusty Dremel
but would now like to try my hand using the old methods etc.
I have a few questions to ask in respect of this and therefore any
response to this post would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Alec R Powell
--
Alec Powell
Watlington Oxon. UK

Charley December 26th 05 05:36 PM

Wood engraving

I use a carver from Paragrave for the small stuff ( uses 1/16 bits) and a
1/8" pneumatic die grinder for larger work (it uses the Dremel type bits). I
also have done some carving using the more traditional approach using
chisels, etc. but most has been power carving (engraving). I haven't been
doing much of it at all for the past 2 years though, because I've been a bit
too busy on other projects.
--
Charley

Richard December 26th 05 07:53 PM

Wood engraving

Hi Alec, here's a site that deals in small carving. They will be able to
answer all your Q's.

http://www.thecarvingpath.com/forum/

Alec Powell wrote:
Hi there rec.crafts.carving people,
Are there any wood engravers in this newsgroup?
I've been a wood carver for some years now, (and occasionally
contributed to this group), and have decided to try my hand at hand
engraving. I've tried a bit of this in the past using my trusty Dremel
but would now like to try my hand using the old methods etc.
I have a few questions to ask in respect of this and therefore any
response to this post would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Alec R Powell

--

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"

Sheri Adams May 21st 06 07:13 AM

I'm new.

I just thought I'd pop in and say hi. My name is Sheri and I want to learn
to "whittle" I think is the word. I don't want to make huge things, but
small things out of smaller pieces of wood, like long pieces that you could
make a small totum pole or cross, etc. I have the tools. My mother was
kind enough to find them when I couldn't. I just got to get over this
bronchitis so I can go out and actually start. I live in southern Ontario
just 30 minutes north of Lake Ontario near Peterborough. I'm 37, divorced,
no children but 2 cats. Lots of hobbies and crafts - too many to list - but
this one is a new one. Hope to make lots of friends here and find helpful
information on carving smaller pieces.

Sincerley,
Sheri Liegh Adams - Poet, Writer and Artist
Mentor - Woman Of Worth Ministries