CraftBanter

-   -   experience question (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=93678)

Karen, Queen of Squishies March 21st 08 12:23 PM

experience question

Is Steam-A-Seam 2 really good enough for fusible applique on a wall-hanging,
with no stitching of the edges of the pieces? I mean, I can't even budge it
when I scratch at it with my fingernail, BUT - I would feel better if I
heard it from someone with actual experience. And actually, this block will
be going into a quilt, I just remembered.

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
and when you get the chance
to sit it out or dance.......

Julia in MN March 21st 08 12:57 PM

experience question

Last summer I fused lettering on a wall hanging for a wedding gift. I'm
pretty sure I used the Steam-a-Seam-2, though it may have been Wonder
Under. Whatever it was specifically said it didn't have to be stitched
down, so I didn't. I washed it after it was done and the edges of the
letters were all curling a bit. Fortunately it was just the edges
loosening a bit, so I went back and stitched them all down and all was
well. This was the first time -- and the last -- that I use anything but
Heat'n'Bond Ultra if I don't want to stitch the edges down; I've never
had any problem with that releasing.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Karen, Queen of Squishies March 21st 08 01:12 PM

experience question

Heat 'n Bond Ultra. Thanks!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
and when you get the chance
to sit it out or dance.......

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. March 21st 08 01:25 PM

experience question

Be absolutely certain that you do not have any fabric softener on the
fabrics. That can cause the fusible to not get a good grip. And H&B
products are rather particular about the temperature and method you use, so
be sure to follow the directions to the letter for the best bond.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Karen, Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ mchsi.com wrote in message
Heat 'n Bond Ultra. Thanks!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
and when you get the chance
to sit it out or dance.......

Karen, Queen of Squishies March 21st 08 01:34 PM

experience question

I'm not real sure about all the fabrics, but recently I did buy those spikey
rubber balls for the dryer. Love 'em! hmm.... fussy fusible. sigh
Thanks for the pointers!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
and when you get the chance
to sit it out or dance.......

SewVeryCreative[_3_] March 21st 08 01:47 PM

experience question

Okay, laugh at me and I'll deny, deny, deny I ever said this, but I used SaS
(didn't know there was a new one??) back before I had a sewing machine to
make some curtains (press a fold, stuff the SaS inside the fold, press
again, etc) and although it lasted oodles of washings, it was bulky and
STIFF. I mean, really, really, really STIFF. You could put somebody's eye
out with that stuff!

I don't know anything about SaS2 ... but the original ... really stiff and
really bulky. Tried to go over my "seams" later with a SM (finally got one)
and I broke several needles trying to sew through the stuff. But, as always,
YYMV!

--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

Irrational Number March 21st 08 03:31 PM

experience question

Karen, Queen of Squishies wrote:

Is Steam-A-Seam 2 really good enough for fusible applique on a wall-hanging,
with no stitching of the edges of the pieces?

I used SaS2 to put an applique onto baby Rocky's
onesie, so both materials were stretchy knit. It
lasted through a year of washing!

-- Anita --

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. March 21st 08 05:07 PM

experience question

It's a GREAT fusible- if you follow the directions- no guessing like you can
do with some fusibles. It would be worth it to you to rewash the fabrics
before fusing... just in case they were washed pre-dryer balls. H&B also
says to pre-wash the fabrics to remove any finishes. I can't remember if
you are a 'wash fabric as it comes in the door' or not. I am. In fact, I
recently rewashed ALL my stash because I know that in the past I had used
fabric softener. My normal wash gets both liquid softener in the washer and
softener sheets in the dryer. We have very hard water. I like the pretty
fragrance and soft feel with using both softeners- but not on my fabric.
;-)

Gen March 21st 08 06:35 PM

experience question

That's what I use most of the time, with no problems. Just pre-wash fabric
and NO fabric softener, or fusibles won't stick well.
Gen

Gen March 21st 08 06:40 PM

experience question

I somehow doubt that it was true SaS. Yes, it's a little stiff unless you
use the lite version, but it all sews with no problem
Gen